Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS Helmet - Too good to be true?

Article about: Hello All, I'll be headed a few hours from home tomorrow to do a deal on the belt/bread bag/mess kit combination I posted a while back (I'll share some photos tomorrow evening!) however in t

Default SS Helmet - Too good to be true?

Hello All,

I'll be headed a few hours from home tomorrow to do a deal on the belt/bread bag/mess kit combination I posted a while back (I'll share some photos tomorrow evening!) however in the meantime I came across this interesting piece.

What are your thoughts? If I've learned anything from the beautiful and twisted thing that is the internet, it's to be oh so weary of anything SS, As a result, I'm keeping my distance on this one but would love to hear what you folks think.

I hope everyone is well and enjoying their days wherever in our world they are spent.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Helmet - Too good to be true?   SS Helmet - Too good to be true?  

SS Helmet - Too good to be true?   SS Helmet - Too good to be true?  

SS Helmet - Too good to be true?   SS Helmet - Too good to be true?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Helmet - Too good to be true?
    P
    Many

Good decal photos / maker and lot number are key elements these days to assess SS helmets. Maker and lot we know here , so it is a factory decalled helmet.
    Has a chance I think although the name may be post war. But much better decal photos required.

Is the helmet in your possession ? If so, why not take some time & shoot a few good, clear, closeups of the decal ? Even with the broken/damaged liner, an M40 Q SS helmet in this condition is a couple of thousand dollars. Think it worth your time having it authenticated.
    D.

Hi, absolutely agree, good decal close ups are a must, but this one does look like it may well be a good Quist decal. Looks as though it has been over painted black and the decal "cut around". Leon.

Thank you all for the guidance! This piece is for sale as a "father brought this home" item. I do a great deal of militaria hunting on Facebook's marketplace feature and this was one I came up with. I was skeptical of anything SS, as I mentioned, however, I'm excited to see there may be a sliver of possibility on this one. I presume the seller had it appraised/did some basic research as she's listed it at $3,000. A bit high for me but its still nice to know these items are still coming out of the woodwork.

Quote by Midwest Picker View Post
    Thank you all for the guidance! This piece is for sale as a "father brought this home" item. I do a great deal of militaria hunting on Facebook's marketplace feature and this was one I came up with. I was skeptical of anything SS, as I mentioned, however, I'm excited to see there may be a sliver of possibility on this one. I presume the seller had it appraised/did some basic research as she's listed it at $3,000. A bit high for me but its still nice to know these items are still coming out of the woodwork.
    Hi, well my personal opinion is that the seller has done well to get it appraised as it does appear to be an original SS Quist helmet, BUT ( note the big butt ! !) The black over paint is certainly not period. For me that is a classic "bikers" addition, hence the value of this lid is reduced backwards from what the seller may want!! I like it for what it is, but i personally would not "chase" after it. Leon.

MAP
    ?

That black paint certainly has honest age to it. It is not a modern "creation" to me. That said, a biker helmet from the late 50's to 60's would now be 60+ years old.

There also appears to be two layers of black paint.

The name and rank appear to be two different shades of white paint but again could be the photos and the name section (the only part I can really zoom in on) appears to have honest age to it.

It will always be highly controversial with most collectors shying away from it (even assuming the decal is good). For me (and I think many will disagree with me), I wouldn't mind buying it as a "biker" SS (its a bit iconic in a way) but only if priced as such. Which as it stand now, it is not.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

To my eye, the name and rank inscription were written by two different hands. The name has a nice easy rapid script, the rank is slow and forced. I would think only the name is likely to have been on the helmet pre-1945.