Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

SS Helmet w/ Winter Camo

Article about: Hi everyone, I've just purchased this relic condition helmet, and would like to know if it's the real deal or just another fake. Any assistance will be much appreciated! The only marking tha

This helmet, along with the others I have posted, are from a private Russian seller. He apparently runs the Facebook site "Ghosts of the Eastern Front".

Luckily, all transactions have gone through the pay for goods/services on Paypal. He has yet to respond to my emails about a refund.

Also, I would really like to know if the $1,700 SS helmet I purchased is real or fake. That is the biggest hit I'm taking. If any one is willing to weigh in on that helmet (which I have posted in both the SS helmet and relic forums, I would greatly appreciate it!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Helmet w/ Winter Camo
    P
    Many

If you get no satisfaction from the seller you can lodge your dispute directly with paypal if the goods received are not as described. 9 times out of 10 they side with the buyer.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

I will have to disagree with all of you that say that the helmet is a complete fake. Looks like an original winter camo to be, if you take a better look it was repainted to a dark shade when the winter ended.

However the decal is tough... i dont see any pitting on it... personaly to me it looks like a very damaged shield, touched up with some black paint, repainted again and then sanded?

Pics in better light are needed but overpriced for sure even if its original.

Quote by LeonardoL View Post
    I will have to disagree with all of you that say that the helmet is a complete fake. Looks like an original winter camo to be, if you take a better look it was repainted to a dark shade when the winter ended.

However the decal is tough... i dont see any pitting on it... personaly to me it looks like a very damaged shield, touched up with some black paint, repainted again and then sanded?

Pics in better light are needed but overpriced for sure even if its original.

I could not disagree with you more. I don't collect relics, but looking at this one I see so many red flags it would take a week to list them all. I don't know how you can say the decal is good. The name is painted over decades old pitting. Those two issues are enough for me to say with a high degree of confidence that this is a relic that has been dressed up to take advantage of a novice collector. I hope the OP gets a refund. The seller should also be identified so that others won't be victimized. Just my 2cents. Jim G.

I would suggest not waiting anymore time waiting for a refund that will never be given willingly. Post a complaint with Paypal ASAP. Note how the heaviest concentration of paint on the whole helmet. Real camo paint would never be that thin so you could easily recognize the decal as SS. The paint is also not of the type used in the period to camo helmets and is far thinner than period examples. As you are new to collecting, always post here first before parting with funds. Overseas transactions are also risky as there is no way to know if the seller even owns the item. Pictures can be listed from the Internet. I once found a guy in
    Germany was trying to sell my 1st pattern NSDAP leader's brown shirt on a French auction site. He was a real dumby as it was listed as a SA shirt. Let us know how things turn out.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    I would suggest not waiting anymore time waiting for a refund that will never be given willingly. Post a complaint with Paypal ASAP. Note how the heaviest concentration of paint on the whole helmet. Real camo paint would never be that thin so you could easily recognize the decal as SS. The paint is also not of the type used in the period to camo helmets and is far thinner than period examples. As you are new to collecting, always post here first before parting with funds. Overseas transactions are also risky as there is no way to know if the seller even owns the item. Pictures can be listed from the Internet. I once found a guy in
    Germany was trying to sell my 1st pattern NSDAP leader's brown shirt on a French auction site. He was a real dumby as it was listed as a SA shirt. Let us know how things turn out.
    A great deal of advise...Thanks Bob !! G
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    I once found a guy in Germany was trying to sell my 1st pattern NSDAP leader's brown shirt on a French auction site.
    Brazen...

In a weird turn of events, the seller sought to prove the helmet's authenticity by sending photos to Kelly Hicks. He forwarded me the entire email conversation. Kelly Hicks apparently had this to say:

"Hi Denis,
    Thanks for the emails. I looked at the pictures carefully and I think they both have a high chance of being original. I like the snow camouflage. But the decal is impossible to determine from the pictures. I would only be guessing on it.

Fort the et helmet, I like it mostly, but I think the chinstrap may be fake. As for the decal, I like the design and materials but I don't understand why the extra line down the right side, outside of the border.
    Relic helmets are always a challenge!
    Kind regards,
    Kelly"

Denis, the seller, had this to say:

"Kelly, thank you for your answer! I appreciate your opinion. Winter helmet was found in Karelia. The second helmet was found by Velikiy Novgorod in the blue clay. Blue clay very well keeps the skin and metal. Maybe there were two, one sticker is worn out and pasted it on another?"

I was highly suspicious, so I emailed Kelly Hicks and asked whether the correspondence was genuine. To my surprise, Kelly responded and confirmed that the conversation did indeed take place - "Hi Troy,
    Thanks for the email. I did indeed look at Denis 's helmets. I think they have a good chance of being real. I will be happy to assist you with them in the future as needed.

Best regards,
    Kelly "

I'm going to go forward with this purchase, and then send the helmets to Kelly once I receive them. I'm completely new to this arena and I'm not sure how much weight Kelly Hicks holds in the helmet community, but I thought this was worth sharing!

MAP
    ?

You have a helmet that people are divided on. You have received opinions from both sides.

To be honest, at this point you have to ask yourself what YOU are comfortable with.

Choose wisely..... Poor attempt at a joke.

M
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

It matters not, as the others have pointed out, because there has been MUCH human interference with these helmets - so much so that there will always be a cloud over them, expert support or not. If you can live with it and do not expect to make a profit or even get your money back in future, then keep them. BUT, if they will always irk you because of what they have become ( through said interference ) then for peace of mind you need to get a refund.

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast