Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

SS M 42 ET 70 DD battlefield damaged

Article about: I found some pictures of the helmet I've owe a couple of years ago. Just was look at the thread below about a huge size helmet, and thought that it's would be interesting to share this one t

?

Default Re: SS M 42 ET 70 DD battlefield damaged

Replying away from home, so cannot use stored photos.

An SS M42 would only be "expected" to have 2 decals on it in the following conditions;

1. Runic reversed on the left side and have a party shield on the right and there are I believe only 2 M42's known in this configuration (I have one of them). All that are known typically have a police decal underneath the runic decal, the runic decal always being a CA Pocher decal overtop the police, hence the reversed runic. These are attributed to foriegn volunteers or members of SS Polezei division or SS Police units. One M35 I have in this reversed runic format has been succesfully researched and was from the security and police side of the SS at one time, hence the police decal then SS decal overtop.

2. The other way to see an M42 with 2 decals would be that of an ultra rare foreign volunteers double runic helmet and no party decal. I think there are 1 or 2 of them, I am not sure but I do own 1 which is also a former winter camo, remnants of whitewash are in the vent lugs and recessed areas of the helmet. Again the decal on the left side where there would be no decal, is always a CA Pocher decal.

Does this make this example bad? It is hard to say unless there are better pictures of the decals which are in terrible condition. The party decal appears to be a CA Pocher or copy of one based on the circle being offset a tad to the right. The ET decal is either a copy or real one. That being said, to find an original M42 with an ET decal and a Pocher party decal is unusual in the extreme, I mean the high extreme.

So I would have to be very skeptical of this so far being an authentic SS helmet, regardless of who dug it up or where it resides.

Better pics would determine much.
    Doug

(I will be offline for over a week so cannot reply to anything from this thread after this)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS M 42 ET 70 DD battlefield damaged
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Panzer 3 View Post
    Hi,
    I have seen large german helmets but not that large, It must look
    out of place with the rest, Perhaps it was humpty dumpies,
    he had a big head. lol ET70 wow.
    Dave.
    I own an ET double runic in a size 70. One of two known SS helmets in a size 70. will show pics when I get back or you can see it in SS Helmets by Hicks and Beaver.

Quote by DougB View Post
    One of two known SS helmets in a size 70.
    Maybe 3 if the one that started this thread turns out to be real

Call me Mr picky, but there is a cloud hanging over it. I REALLY hope that I am PROVED wrong

Quote by John Brandon View Post
    Maybe 3 if the one that started this thread turns out to be real

Call me Mr picky, but there is a cloud hanging over it. I REALLY hope that I am PROVED wrong
    Your not being picky. The rarity of the helmet in question is setting the tone for this thread. As Doug stated there are only a couple he knows to exist which makes this quite exciting if you ask me.

It would make perfect sense if there is another military branch decal under the rune.

Ty

?

Regarding that helmet unfortunately I do not have other pictures, but I have no reason to teach others with a doubty item, as I told you , there no way to the helmet to be a copy, as I've got it from a farmer ( who deal with old metal scrap, but not with militaria ) as I've inspect it in the hands, and all the surface rust was cleaned from the helmet with oxalic asid, unfortunately I do not have a pictures before cleaning. But there was nothing visible before a cleaning, just a rusty lid, with a partially visible runes side shield.
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

You don't own it anymore ? Would be interesting to study this lid , after all that's what a forum is for , do you recall the lotnr ?

?

Unfortunately I just have this pics, the helmet I've sold approx 2 years ago ( I collect just a good condition or impressive battle damaged helmets), I will ask the current owner if he will post some closeup pictures
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

?

Quote by Dimas View Post
    Unfortunately I just have this pics, the helmet I've sold approx 2 years ago ( I collect just a good condition or impressive battle damaged helmets), I will ask the current owner if he will post some closeup pictures
    That would be great Dimas if we could see more pics of this one. It would be a true rarity.

Seems everyone has their own ideas of what should and shouldnt be and these rules dont allways apply. although they are much needed to weed out the fakes. ive seen a lot of german ww2 military in my 60 years. I started with a collectoon brought back by my ww2 grandad supply sergeant 2 foot lockers and a duffel bag full of it. i sat for hours looking through it all from helmets to isigina to post cards all german ww2 booty. ive been a collector ever since and that was in 1958 thing is even back then when i would offer a alum cap eagle i got oh thats not real they didnt put black iron crosses on the eagles chest. da everyones a critic ive seen although rare dubble decal ss m1942 with yes the national nazi insigina on them i know what the regs called for and why or how and the hell did this extra shield get on this helmet. My rule of thumb is be your own critic it takes a brain and a computer and some handeling to become one you will get burned thats part of the collecting game however if you like it it passes your burn test then so be theres allways a critic a spoiler around the corner waiting to snipe your item.

?

I've met many a fake helmet judged solely by those criteria. Shared and expanded knowledge and wisdom of collectors is best IMO. Better than one man standing alone with only his thoughts and a reference book at least. Its commentary that leads to discussion and learning. I agree that collectors like the neat and tidy categorizations and thus discussion allows the expansion of them through a thoughtful process. Finally there's always something out there that breaks the "rules" and is 100% legit.
    Cheers
    Doug

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast