Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS M1935 Real or Fake?

Article about: I don't know much about these but I have here what I am think is an original German SS helmet. It is stamped "ET64" Serial or lot number 4801. The chinstrap is missing. It has a &q

r72gsaol
    ?

Default SS M1935 Real or Fake?

I don't know much about these but I have here what I am think is an original German SS helmet. It is stamped "ET64" Serial or lot number 4801. The chinstrap is missing. It has a "double decal". From the ones I saw on the net this one has the decals on the opposite sides? The decals appear to be original and have fine crazing. The SS one has taken on a gold tone. I tried to take as close a picture as possible.

The inside appears to be a light green and the outside a light to medium gray. There are a few runs in the paint, I would say at one time it was repainted. I read about reissue or field painted helmets and this could be one. The gray is a bit darker than the photos show. The decals look correct from what I can see.

The liner looks original and has size "56" on it. From what I can see the liner is held in by split rivets and the leather is attached by brass rivets. It is held in by a stainless steel band. I don't want to try and take it out and damage it.

Thank you,
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS M1935 Real or Fake?   SS M1935 Real or Fake?  

SS M1935 Real or Fake?   SS M1935 Real or Fake?  

2. # ADS

?

Default Re: SS M1935 Real or Fake?

Howdy friend.
    I hate to tell you but the decals are fakes. The helmet liner is Norwegian. The paint is nothing like any used by the Germans.
    I suspect that it is a Norwegian repaint and redecaled that had fake decals applied and then a sprayed coat of modern paint applied.
    Sorry

An original shell but a Norwegian post WW2 reissue with the red dyed liner. ( check the liner rivets - they would be brass )
    Someone has then painted it and thrown on a couple of SS decals - probably back in the 80's - so it has "weathered" a bit.
    Pity, worth more with the Norwegian paint & decals, but as it is only good for playing soldiers in the yard I'm afraid.
    Dan

Steve, you're too quick!
    Dan

?

Just as a side note fakers are making aged decals nowadays that hard hard to tell for new collectors.

r72gsaol
    ?

Thanks for the info!

?

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Steve, you're too quick!
    Dan
    That is what my wife keeps telling me buddy.

?

Waaaay into fake territory!

?

Yeah even I, the kid that dosent know anything about german decals could tell thats a fake. All you need to look at the patina of the decals
    Ryan

A huge 'tell' that this is a post-war Norwegian helmet is the
    red coloured liner with large circular size stamp.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast