Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

SS M40 DD Shell

Article about: The M40 Q DD decals looks ok IMO, but I think the entire helmet always will be questioned by some.... Now the same guy are trying to sell a fake M40 SD Heer......

Default Re: SS M40 DD Shell

Looks like there is another "shield shaped"discoloration to the paintwork beside the HEER decal too!!How many re-works does a helmet need?As you guys have said,the SS decals do actually look pretty good but i don't like all the other stuff going on like why has such a good condition sheel lost it's liner etc?Seems to me like a good single decal HEER that's been played with,and is that not a little to convenient that almost all of the right side rune is missing so that you cannot spot any potential flaws!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS M40 DD Shell
    P
    Many

?

If this is the real deal then one explaination re the decal change could be a transfer from Heer to the SS and he re-decaled his helmet ???

Both decals look pretty convincing. One of the things that doesn't make sense is why a single decal would be turned into a double decal after 1940.

?

The shell appears to be a Q, the runic decal appears to be a good Q and the party decal also looks like a good Q. A Heer underneath the party decal could be a reissue with a field applied party decal. The decals being Q not Pocher suggests perhaps it was a factory reissue. It needs better photos for sure but I find that it has a good chance. No real date known so could be a mid 1940. It seems by far the most DD M40 SS are Q. In the database I've compiled about 1 in 10 Q M0's are DD or former DD SS, so they're rare but not unseen rare, I've owned at least 5 or 6, and own a near mint one right now.

?

Hi Doug,

In a DD SS M40 Quist lid, I expect to see Q pattern decals on factory or factory refurbs, and on field refurbs I expect to see Pochers. Is it possible to see field refurbs with Q pattern decals? Have Q pattern SS decals, DD or SD, are ever known to be seen on field refurbs?

Samir

?

Anythings possible. Anyone who says they know it all or seen it all is full of s**t. Our current knowledge derives from patterns discerned over the many years of shared knowledge. It's quite possible it's a refurb from the factory. Way better photos are needed and something like this I would only feel comfortable with it in hand. That said why are ET decals found on EF M42 helmets? Nobody knows, but they exist. Items like this pushes us out of our boundaries and challenge conventional wisdom. I'd love to see this in hand.

?

Interesting. Doug, thanks.

Thanks for the replies! I gonna ask for more pictures! It sure is an intersting shell...

?

Quote by Farradin View Post
    Thanks for the replies! I gonna ask for more pictures! It sure is an intersting shell...
    Try and get straight on macro shots. Angle shots are just as bad as blurry ones, so remember, straight on macro shots, good luck.

Samir

Wow looks like you might have found yourself a real Gem there Anton! Awesome!! Hope it all works out for you

Regards Phill.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast