Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Ss m40 q66

Article about: Here's a combat SS M40 Q66, lot#DN239. Nothing fancy, but happens to be one of my favorites in my collection. Finished in its factory medium gray paint. Decal was period removed due to the r

?

One option as well, is the helmet was reissued late war to a non-SS soldier/different service branch and the decal field removed.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ss m40 q66
    P
    Many

Quote by DougB View Post
    One option as well, is the helmet was reissued late war to a non-SS soldier/different service branch and the decal field removed.
    Good point. Another option to consider was from the combat soldier's standpoint-- in a tactical situation the runic shield can stand out like a sore thumb--so I think it would be logical to assume a possible camouflage purpose here. Also, at the end of the war, volkssturm units were furnished with whatever equipment was at hand, and I've owned and seen allgemeines and other helmets with just the runes scraped and not the party shield. So these two considerations are valid to add to the pile!

?

As well Kelly, the possibility remains it was an SS helmet up to the time of surrender, with the runes removed prior to the soldier turning himself in. My now deceased friend who served in the WSS said they were ordered by their NCO's to remove all insignia, bury their weapons and surrender.

It's all speculation in the end, either way, but it's no question a former W-SS helmet.

Quote by DougB View Post
    As well Kelly, the possibility remains it was an SS helmet up to the time of surrender, with the runes removed prior to the soldier turning himself in. My now deceased friend who served in the WSS said they were ordered by their NCO's to remove all insignia, bury their weapons and surrender.

It's all speculation in the end, either way, but it's no question a former W-SS helmet.
    Yep, definitely is the case Doug. You know what's funny, in 1967 my friend Terry W's mom let us play with a double d heer that his dad had brought back.. but she scraped the decals off before she let us go outside with it. (I wonder how much patina that poor helmet has acquired on those bare metal spots!) LOL Needless to say I was sick over that at the time-- I kept my luft helmet the heck away from her too..!

?

The horror....LOL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2