MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

SS M40 Q66 (Unique Lot#)

Article about: Here's an interesting SS M40 from my SS collection that I picked up from Dave Shirlin. Some of you might be familiar with this helmet as it came out Bryan's (Foamspoon) collection. Its an SS

When I get back from this trip I will post the pictures I have of 1939 production Qs and we can have a good look at those. Hard to concentrate here in the departure lounge but did want to mention that. It will be well worth the further conversation. Cheers, Kelly

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS M40 Q66 (Unique Lot#)
    P
    Many

?

When you say both runes are 'symmetrical', you mean left, and right are identical? Reason I ask, because I noticed the bottom half of the left rune always appears to be wider than the right. I've noticed this with both, narrow and wide type Q's.

Hi Samir, when I'm saying symmetrical I am referring only to the wide style Q. the narrow pattern Decal is the one that displays all of the shape differences I am mentioning including the tail and the bulge, etc.. I will post some pictures with arrows and things like that when I get an opportunity.-- hold that space :-)

?

That's correct, the narrow has asymmetrical runes Samir and we see many on forums incorrectly comment that a good Q rune is bad because the the left rune is wider than the right, which is actually a sign of authenticity in this case.

Kelly I have one posted in the SS decal section you refer to with the hallmarks of this specific decal type. I think you will recognize the decal

SS Runic Decal Reference Section

?

Quote by Kelly H View Post
    Hi Samir, when I'm saying symmetrical I am referring only to the wide style Q. the narrow pattern Decal is the one that displays all of the shape differences I am mentioning including the tail and the bulge, etc.. I will post some pictures with arrows and things like that when I get an opportunity.-- hold that space :-)
    OK, sounds great. =)

?

Quote by DougB View Post
    That's correct, the narrow has asymmetrical runes Samir and we see many on forums incorrectly comment that a good Q rune is bad because the the left rune is wider than the right, which is actually a sign of authenticity in this case.
    You are correct. I've seen that a few times myself on the forums, infact one of my Q's fell victim to that false assessment.

?

Heres a pic of Doug's wide Q. Can be tricky not only for the average collector but myself as well. The more noticeable trait as you gents already know are the runes. For the average collector you can hardly make out if the shield is wide or narrow, but with this particular photograph its not so hard because of the perfect shot that was taken.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS M40 Q66 (Unique Lot#)  

Quote by SSamir View Post
    Heres a pic of Doug's wide Q. Can be tricky not only for the average collector but myself as well. The more noticeable trait as you gents already know are the runes. For the average collector you can hardly make out if the shield is wide or narrow, but with this particular photograph its not so hard because of the perfect shot that was taken.
    Samir,
    This is super important to get what I am saying. --this picture that you posted of Doug's is a NARROW Q, not a wide Q. I owned this helmet for ten years and know it very very well. It is not entirely about the width of the decal, it is the shape of the runes. Let me explain further in the next few pictures. Please bear with me, have a long look, and then let's discuss.

?

Quote by Kelly H View Post
    Samir,
    This is super important to get what I am saying. --this picture that you posted of Doug's is a NARROW Q, not a wide Q. I owned this helmet for ten years and know it very very well. It is not entirely about the width of the decal, it is the shape of the runes. Let me explain further in the next few pictures. Please bear with me, have a long look, and then let's discuss.
    Oh lord, i'm really messing up. I have my Q's 'twisted'. Just shows it's not easy even for a guy like me who have been studying Q's very hard for the past two years. I must confess, it can be intimidating sometimes. Kelly, I appreciate your kind help. =)

Regards
    Samir

Here are three wide Q decals. They are on 1939 dated Q 64 helmets. The shells all bear the 1939 color of 'apple green'. The "Just" helmet also features the blue-green buttons, which I particularly enjoy. These decals are all wide, and all show the extreme pointed tip runes. The runes are all the same uniform shape. Now, look at the Narrow Q Doug decal picture above, and notice the left rune is thicker, and the right rune has a wiggly middle left rune tip, (which is the hallmark of the narrow rune). Lastly, both the wide Q and narrow Q decals have runes that extend below the break in the shield. These are two distincly different patterns of decal. SS M40 Q66 (Unique Lot#)SS M40 Q66 (Unique Lot#)SS M40 Q66 (Unique Lot#)SS M40 Q66 (Unique Lot#)SS M40 Q66 (Unique Lot#)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS M40 Q66 (Unique Lot#)  

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast