Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Ss m42 ef64

Article about: Hello, I am new so please be gentle, I know you are supposed to do lots of study and that, to ask what may seem obvious questions can be a pain but I was looking at the helmet so described b

?

Default Ss m42 ef64

Hello,

I am new so please be gentle, I know you are supposed to do lots of study and that, to ask what may seem obvious questions can be a pain but I was looking at the helmet so described by SSamir on the classifieds and I was wondering why the decal was so far down? It is answered by the third shot of the helmet straight on and you can see the vent holes are quite a way out? Is this normal, how could this happen during production?

Thanks for any info.

Dinger
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ss m42 ef64  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ss m42 ef64
    P
    Many

In my opinion, EF helmets are of the worst quality I have seen in German Helmets. They do not compare to the NS, or ET helmets, which I personally like the best. since the air vent is so low, the decal would also be low, because the decals went under the air vent.
    Hope this helps some.

Cheers, Warbuff

Dinger
    I have looked at that helmet a couple of times yet never noticed that. The vent holes would have been punched and formed after the shell was drawn,so something was not in place properly at the time the vents were done. Being a tool maker and having several presses I can quite understand how that could happen. Someone missed the stop and tripped the press. Being that it is just a vent it was probably passed thru inspection. I am sure if it was the liner rivet holes it would not have. Good eye by the way!
    Steve

?

Seen now and again on EF M42 helmets.

Welcome to the forum btw,

Doug

The Emaillerwerk AG, Fulda ( Enamelling Factory ) or EF as we know it was one of the last factories added to the production list.
    The firm used slave labour most likely in the form of Russian men and women. This may explain the lower quality of their offerings??

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Quote by Danmark View Post
    The Emaillerwerk AG, Fulda ( Enamelling Factory ) or EF as we know it was one of the last factories added to the production list.
    The firm used slave labour most likely in the form of Russian men and women. This may explain the lower quality of their offerings??

Dan
    It could be a factor of processes and / or worn tooling used in the factory as well, NS used slave labor as well and their helmets many feel are the best and cleanest made. Thinking the labourers might have been forced labor exported from the west or interned Jews from nearby concentration camps as well. I am not sure how many Russians were exported to Germany proper for labor, Carl might be able to answer that.

?

Thankyou for the clarification. I tried watching the war time film of helmet production on line but it ends at the hand finishing of the shell before any holes were knocked into them. Saying that the production technique for M42 would no doubt not be the same for 35s or 40s and that is what the film shows. I saw no clues there as to how 'dip & dazzle' vents happened. Are there any longer clips than that on the German helmets . com site? Has anyone else got one of these odd productions errors to show?

Cheers
    Dinger

?

For the sake of completeness I have done the same with the side view of the helmet just to illustrate it better.

Cheers

Dinger
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ss m42 ef64