Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

ss m42 helmet

Article about: No offense, gents, but "The Thomas Crown Affair" movie just came on, and I gotz to go! See you gents later! =) Regards Samir

?

Default Re: ss m42 helmet

I think Kelly H. or Doug B. would be the best to ask about this.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ss m42 helmet
    P
    Many

?

The decal is a fake. Made n artificially aged to deceive the average joe. You buy this helmet, your screwed. Good luck.

Samir

Quote by Brian View Post
    I would say that the entire helmet checks out.

The lot number fits in with other SS helmets and the decal is a close match with the Pocher decal found in Ken N.'s book on the top of page 354. It has the brown-gray spots and the left rune is about 1/32" wider than the right. The border on this decal is a bit wider, maybe just a print run variation?
    Hi , i'm more than happy to be proven wrong but I can't understand why after years of manufacturing SS helmet decals Pocher suddenly lost the ability to print the runes in the correct sizes? Add to that the "fat border" I for one would not feel at ease buying this as even if it were proven to be correct I think I would have trouble "moving it on" at a later date as it does not conform to the standard Pocher. Leon.

I don't like any M42 with a Pocher (unless it is a reverse decal DD, formally a Police helmet), and I agree with Samir that this one is bad. Just my lay opinion. Jim G.

?

There's a few more flaws this decal has I rather not disclose as fakers roam the forums to learn from their errors.

?

Samir, to respectfully disagree, I believe that is exactly the type of thinking that benefits fakers. I guess you could call it "hoarding information", whereby only a privileged few are entitled to know while the rest of us 'poor blighters' have to fend for ourselves. In that way, the fakers have a much larger pool of ignorant potential customers because the 'experts' in the hobby refuse to share vital information.

That is exactly the type of mindset that I was fighting when I published the lot number book. Instead of hoarding the information by dispensing it in spoonfuls 'as necessary', I made it available to every collector. Now collectors have a new tool with which to fight the dishonesty and fakery that permeates this hobby.

I certainly could be wrong about this SS decal, but if I am, I would sure like to know exactly why. Forums are supposed to be about dispensing information and aiding the collector.
    Feel free to clue us in on these other decal flaws.

According to K. Hicks, Pocher decals were factory applied to EF helmets. Also, the closeup of the liner shows the normal darkening to the leather as seen on many original helmets. I do not think it is a Norwegian reissue.

?

Brian, I understand where your coming from, but I am actually a 'poor blighter' myself, and I am no 'expert' either, just a collector that dishes out thousands of dollors to physically handle these SS helmets so I can learn the decals. Other collectors should do the same if they want to learn, and have an unquestionable SS helmet in their collection.

You say I'm hoarding information? Again, I spend good money on these SS helmets, so I can have first hand experience what a real decal suppose to look like. Your not going to fight the "fakery" with a lot number book alone, your gonna need much more tools than that. You will need to have the real thing in your hands, that's how I learned, its recommended, others should follow this rule.

As far as this SS decal, as soon as I laid my eyes on it I knew it was a fake! It has no traits of a genuine Pocher I expect to see, no way in hell. A graphically incorrect copy.

Regards
    Samir
    Last edited by SSamir; 07-27-2013 at 07:39 PM.

?

By the way, Brian, I'm not trying to shoot down your book. I personally have a copy, and I think it's a great book, but again, a lot number book by itself is not going to determine the authenticity of a decal.

Regards
    Samir

?

Gents, if i'm not mistaken, a few SS Pochers do have unmatching runes. I think it's probably due to a heavily used dye, or just a dye that was not perfectly made, but i'm not certain. Sometimes it's simply of an angle shot that threw people off. That's something DougB, or Kelly Hicks will most likely know.

Regards
    Samir
    Last edited by SSamir; 07-28-2013 at 12:07 AM.

?

Yes, the lot number book is only one tool out of many at the disposal of collectors. And while certainly not the last word on collecting by any stretch, the lot number book does indeed show correlations between lot numbers and factory decal drops. There is a strong consistency of factory decal application up to a certain point, and then nothing.

Since the lot number book is now in the hands of fakers as well as collectors, fakers now know about lot number/decal correlations and may take extra measures as they craft their fakes. It it just a sad fact about progress in our hobby, that fakers will use updated knowledge to craft their fakes. But fakers are still at a grave disadvantage regardless.

Maybe this SS decal is an excellent fake Samir, but for now my position still stands. The green/gray paint appears to be authentic, the helmet is within the decaled lot number range, I see no ghosting of a previous decal on the left side of the helmet, and the decal (with brown/gray spotted patina) appears to be a close match for the Pocher in Ken's book pp.354-355.

Now, prove me wrong.
    Last edited by Brian; 07-28-2013 at 12:22 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast