Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

ss m42 helmet

Article about: No offense, gents, but "The Thomas Crown Affair" movie just came on, and I gotz to go! See you gents later! =) Regards Samir

?

Default Re: ss m42 helmet

No offense, gents, but "The Thomas Crown Affair" movie just came on, and I gotz to go! See you gents later! =)

Regards
    Samir

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ss m42 helmet
    P
    Many

?

OK...in a nutshell, It is original ss helmet with fake decal? Isn't it?

just strange that "fakemakers" loose this detail about decal...sometimes "fake" more accurate then "original"...in this case there is no sens..

?

Apparently, that is the consensus. If it is bad, then it is scary-bad for all but the most extremely experienced SS helmet collectors out there.

Maybe it represents the fine line between a 'print run variation' and 'graphic inconsistencies contrary to known originals'. I personally do not see any artificial aging to this decal, but I do see aging consistent with the Ken N. Pocher decal on the top of p.354 of his book, and also his description of how Pocher decals age on the next page (p.355).

Usually, these fake SS helmets give other telltale signs as to what they really are such as:

-high lot numbers from the no-decal era
    -later paint from the no-decal era
    -1944 component dates from the no-decal era
    -poor decal application (stretched, folded, etc...)
    -evidence of prior decal application (heer, police, etc...) - scratches that go underneath the decal

I don't like this decal , for one I only saw Pocher's on EF's M42's as DD's and they are very rare 2) We do not see the non-decal side of the helmet.
    3) Lotnrs are not tied to specific branches
    4) I see sawtooth printing on the border and runes which indicates one should be cautious and not proceed without close-up in hands inspection.

ADM would tell the whole story of this one but as this is often not an option we should make do with our combined experiences. Not one I'd own.

?

yep..fake decal...I desided to remove it...
    It was easy..
    here is the result

just need final point..it's really ss helmet?please..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ss m42 helmet   ss m42 helmet  

WOW!! That came off easily. It is clear now you have removed it that there are several scrapes that ran "underneath" the decal,they are plainly not the result of your decal removal as they have a good age patina to the open surface side of them. A brave thing to do but you have high lighted the efforts that went into this one!!! Leon.

It looks 100% better now with that fake decal gone. It is Now a decent handsome looking lid as it Should have been all along! Good job!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5