MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS M42 helmet

Article about: G'day all, This is my first crack at this so we'll see how it goes. I would like some opions on this shell i recently purchased in the U.k, I've owned, bought,sold and handled a few helmets

Default SS M42 helmet

G'day all, This is my first crack at this so we'll see how it goes. I would like some opions on this shell i recently purchased in the U.k, I've owned, bought,sold and handled a few helmets and i'd like to think this one is the real deal. I'd welcome your input bas i consider myself far from an authority on the subject. As you can imagine i thought this sort of lid would be as rare as Hens teeth, but i don't know, i was skeptical of the decal but it sure is'nt one of your "pre aged" repros as far as i can tell, the shell is stamped CK with perhaps the bell size but i can't make it out and 3109 underneath, anyway see what you think, Cheers Phill.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS M42 helmet   SS M42 helmet  

SS M42 helmet   SS M42 helmet  

SS M42 helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS M42 helmet
    P
    Many

Default Re: M42 helmet

Looks like a good one to me.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Thats what i like to here ,Cheers Eric.

Any idea where it was ground dug from?

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

No idea mate, Sorry.

?

Hello Phill,

Welcome to the forum.

The lid looks good to me, but wait for more opinions before celebrating! It's a pity you don't know where it was ground dug, that's always great information to have and can add good value to your helmet. Still, it looks a solid piece with a decent portion of the decal still present. Well done. Regarding the 3109 stamped on the inside, this is the batch, or production number. They usually have three or four digits. The "ck" as it appears, will likely have been a stamp mark "ckl". This was the stamp mark used by Eisenhuttenwerke of Thale, one of the five main manufacturers of helmets during the Third Reich period. The digits that follow the ckl mark will relate to the size of the helmet. They would be either 60, 62, 64, 66, 68 or 70.

Regards

Carl

Thanks Carl, Cheers Phill.

?

Default Re: SS M42 helmet

It looks ok from the photos supplied , but although its a relic helmet and had its own value as such, i think you will find that value will have been reduced somewhat due to the attempt to id the make and size, someone has exposed shiny bare metal, that will never accrue the previous corrosion or originality and that reduces value, it would have been easier to measure the outside shell and then take that measurement down to the nearest recognised size, although its been established its a ckl and the lot no/, i would have left it alone and just measured the outside

Thankyou for your input Dave, and i see your point, but i would rather see that than no authentication at all, wouldn't you agree? regardless of value, Regards Phill.

For me looks like decal was put on cleaned no decal M42 helmet, needs better photo, but it's only my opinion, I'm not expert.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast