Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS M42 for Review...

Article about: Hi All, Let me preface this thread by saying that other than a few books and what I’ve learned on this forum, I have very, very, very limited knowledge when it comes to SS decals. I was brow

?

Default SS M42 for Review...

Hi All,
    Let me preface this thread by saying that other than a few books and what I’ve learned on this forum, I have very, very, very limited knowledge when it comes to SS decals.

I was browsing a few dealer sites looking for a part needed for recent purchase (US Militaria) and found it on this dealers site for a price I was willing to pay. They seem to have some pretty nice items and as I always do, I looked at some of the helmets they had available for sale. To my surprise, they had this M42 single decal SS lid manufactured by HKP, available for purchase at $999, which based on the price immediately peaked my interest.

When looking at the decal, my initial reaction is that it was a round bottom fake, again based on knowledge gained from the forum. I also question the authenticity of the chinstrap, as it appears to may be artificially aged, although I’m sure better images are required.

I have no intention of purchasing this lid and the photos below will be the only ones provided as I don’t want to waste this dealers time requesting photos of something I’m not interested in. I’ve included the sellers description below, in which he states the decal has questionable authenticity. I’m just curious if I was correct in my assumption.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS M42 for Review...
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: SS M42 for Review...

Good-VG. Retains approx. 75-80% original paint w/ patina spotting. Decal is approx. 85%. Liner has a tear to one ear but is other wise VG. (size 55). End of chin strap is broken off but its still enough to buckle. Decal has nice aged look, but I’ve had mixed reviews on it so I’ve priced it accordingly.

SS M42 for Review...
    SS M42 for Review...
    SS M42 for Review...
    SS M42 for Review...
    SS M42 for Review...
    SS M42 for Review...
    SS M42 for Review...
    SS M42 for Review...

This one is not good.

if it looks to good to be true it usually is...........
    this is just plain horrid

?

I agree with both of you and was never under the assumption this was authentic, hence why I never planned on purchasing. My real question is was I correct in my assumptions as to why it is inauthentic, i.e. round bottom decal and aged chinstrap? Just trying to learn, gentlemen.

You are correct. Doug will be able to comment on this more.

Quote by yuengling325 View Post
    I agree with both of you and was never under the assumption this was authentic, hence why I never planned on purchasing. My real question is was I correct in my assumptions as to why it is inauthentic, i.e. round bottom decal and aged chinstrap? Just trying to learn, gentlemen.
    you were correct i don't see any holes in the chinstrap either anyone got any ideas??

?

Thanks, guys. Rereading the description, he does state that the end of the chinstrap is broken off, which would explain why the holes aren't visible. Based on this, maybe I was incorrect regarding the chinstrap being inauthentic. For some reason, though, it just has that aged look to it. Could be the photo, I guess.

I would also assume if adding a repro chinstrap, it would at least be a complete one; but then again, in the world of militaria, stranger things have happened!

With that said, it's quite a shame that he would offer this lid, especially at that price. A messed with M42, IMO, isn't worth anywhere near the asking price. His other items look legit, but that one bad apple spoils the bunch for me.

By the way, the place is a self proclaimed museum....Makes you wonder if any items in the actual museum area are questionable...

?

Bad decal for sure, lot number typically near the no decal range. BTW, many museum items are reproductions, they are there to show representation of the era or item in many cases. The Canadian War Museum FJ and SS items by in large are all fake.