Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

SS Original vs Fake?

Article about: Hi, I am offered this ss helmet for a "to good to be true price". The seller tells that the earlier owner said that it was original. What do you guys think about the helmet?

?

Default Re: SS Original vs Fake?

A bit like me Doug, my left ones bigger than my right one

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Original vs Fake?
    P
    Many

My left ear is bigger than my right ear as well, small world.

?

Fake for sure.

?

Thanks for the respond, I could have told myself that it would be to great a deal when the seller only want a few 100 bucks but I am new in "the business" and it is always good to hear other opinions.

And then I must say that I enjoy some of the funny comments that come up when you read these threads about fake helmets. It is easy to hear how people on the forum are disgusted about people making these helmets look like for example a rare and expensive SS helmet when it is not much more worth than the metal it's made of ;-D

?

Now that we are on to it I want to show you two other helmets which is listed to a more realistic price. I got a friend from Germany who knows a guy who has his own militaria shop. Of cause he sells helmets and among these there are two SS helmets - one m35 and one m40. I have written back and forward with the seller a couple of times and I don't know if he is okay or if he is lying and hiding something but one thing is for sure - he isn’t a good salesman.

To begin with he claims both helmets are original and offer one month return if I am not satisfied with the one I buy. That must be a good thing but the following is pretty weird.

First of all when I ask further into the guarantee of the helmets originality he gives me this answer: There is in today's world NO one that can 100% guarantee for German militaria, forgers become better and better. We sell our stuff based on best judgment, and therefore we have our return policy.

I guess he is correct about that it is hard to be 100% sure in this business but still it is not the words I would like to hear when I am considering buying a pretty expensive SS helmet. I have seen other dealers who offer lifelong guarantee and makes it cut and clear that they know they are selling you the real deal.

The second thing which is also annoying me is that the pictures isn’t to good and when I asked him about better pictures he tells me that he is too busy so that is not possible at the moment. Big alarm bells in my ears, I don’t get why he can’t spend 10 minutes on a couple of photos when he have a chance of making a sale of his most expensive helmet. But the weird thing is why not get some good pictures and send them to me instead of using the effort on sending the helmet to me just to get it back if it isn’t okay. I don’t get it..

Enough talking here comes the two helmets shown in a couple of pictures. Like I said the pictures aren’t too good so it might be difficult to see if it is a couple of fakes or not.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Original vs Fake?   SS Original vs Fake?  

SS Original vs Fake?   SS Original vs Fake?  

Attached Images Attached Images SS Original vs Fake? 

?

First one was the m35. This one is the m40.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Original vs Fake?   SS Original vs Fake?  

SS Original vs Fake?  

?

Both are old and terrible fakes. Here is some free advice;

1: don't start your helmet collection career / hobby with SS helmets. Begin with a nice no decal M42 in all original condition and work your way up from there
    2: Insist on good photos always and with good head on clear and in focus no glare photos of the decals, anything less tell the seller to pound salt
    3: buy some good reference books, many links abound on this forum and you really need no more than 3 that cover all the bases
    4: don't fall for the dealer lifetime guarantee or the nobody can say what's real anymore shtick. Neither are guarantees of originality
    5: anyone sending you a camera angle like the 3 helmets you've posted is trying to get into your wallet big time. Tell them your willing to pay in monopoly money.
    6: post anything your interested in buying first but learn to spot the charlatans and don't waste your time with them.

Have fun!
    Doug

?

Thanks a lot for the advices doug.

I am looking forward to the day where I hopefully also can spot a fake helmet right away. I have already bought the first book and it won’t be the last one for sure!

I must say I am a bit disappointed about this seller. He clearly wants to make a big profit on a lie. I get that people try to list their fake helmet on ebay and hope that someone with no experience will buy it. But a real dealer with a very professional homepage with a huge list of military stuff is trying to do the same come as a little surprise to me.

I he writes again I will go for your advice nr 6; tell him that I got some monopoly money ready for him if he wants

Quote by ackb View Post
    Thanks a lot for the advices doug.

I must say I am a bit disappointed about this seller. He clearly wants to make a big profit on a lie. I get that people try to list their fake helmet on ebay and hope that someone with no experience will buy it. But a real dealer with a very professional homepage with a huge list of military stuff is trying to do the same come as a little surprise to me.
    There are more of these than you think , the watchword is to be careful always. Even with dealers who have a good name , even they get it wrong sometimes.

?

Default Re: Original vs Fake?

Quote by DougB View Post
    gentlemen a real Q decal has a slightly larger left than right rune....

(thread moved to the SS helmet section)
    Thank you Doug, I was starting to worry about my eyesight, so the information is good to know.

Regards,

Carl

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast