Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

SS relic helmet opinions wanted

Article about: I am looking at purchasing this M35 which looks good to me but would value other opinions. Thanks Steve

Quote by Danmark View Post
    After a close re-look over I'm going to call it as a repainted, redecaled and reburied relic.

The reason is that the clean painted areas around the cracks and damage is just not believable to me.
    There should be bare metal there in places but there is none!

And thats a red card from me.... in my opinion.

Dan
    Could you point to these specific areas, Dan? I agree that the paint looks "fresh" but, IMO it looks like it could be one of those northern Russia recovered SS lids... the conditions up there seem to make the paint finish look real strange at times, 100% no less. I'm still thinking it's a good lid, barring decal "analysis" and seeing what you're referring to, possibly from areas similar to what I mentioned before, then cleaned with oxalic --- leaving that very distinct green/yellow residue in the pitting all over. I recently came across a very similar looking helmet only in DD configuration --- looks like it must have come from the same place or, if not genuine, at least from the same faker.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS relic helmet opinions wanted
    P
    Many

I have to say, once again... just to clarify, looking it over once more I cannot find any direct "red flags" with the finish/relic condition itself. Decals would be up to others to decide. The finish here looks very much like mine in places, with the popped rust bubbles that had formed under the paint, cleaned with oxalic and the fresh/vivid looking paint.

Still interested in seeing what you referred to though, Dan! Just wanted to clarify my thoughts a bit.

The cracks (to me) are stress cracks resulting from the definite shrapnel strike to the rear that punctured the steel.
    Looking at the hole itself, there is paint around the dent as well as the torn metal... early helmets had a good coating of paint and more so as a reissue but none seems to be missing as a result of the impact???
    And the edges of the cracks too appear on my screen to have paint on them.
    Just worries me, thats all.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

All I can say is that from what I can make out these are not issues that worry me. Mine from Karelia has got shrapnel damage as well, yet there's no exterior paint missing where the shrapnel went in --- the same goes for the crack that goes from the shrapnel entry hole to a hole on the top dome. All steel that would be bare/showing seems to be covered in oxalic residue or spots of rust on this one, just like mine.

Would be interesting to know where this came from, who's selling it or who dug it.

Quote by slados28 View Post
    All I can say is that from what I can make out these are not issues that worry me. Mine from Karelia has got shrapnel damage as well, yet there's no exterior paint missing where the shrapnel went in --- the same goes for the crack that goes from the shrapnel entry hole to a hole on the top dome. All steel that would be bare/showing seems to be covered in oxalic residue or spots of rust on this one, just like mine.

Would be interesting to know where this came from, who's selling it or who dug it.
    I guess we can only call it as we see it on the screen and based on similar examples ..... I hope we haven't TOTALLY confused No1 canuck with all this??

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

This is definitely grey over green, with maybe a painted around decal? Without an in hand, hard to say. Bottom line - if this is a Q shell, your probably ok. It not, walk.

Quote by Danmark View Post
    I guess we can only call it as we see it on the screen and based on similar examples ..... I hope we haven't TOTALLY confused No1 canuck with all this??

Cheers, Dan
    Don't worry about confusing me, that's too late!! I am enjoying the discussion and am quite prepared to walk away from it as doug says but by the same token slados28 raises very valid points as this was apparently dug in northern Russia from what I was told.
    Steve

Quote by DougB View Post
    This is definitely grey over green, with maybe a painted around decal? Without an in hand, hard to say. Bottom line - if this is a Q shell, your probably ok. It not, walk.
    Hey Doug that is pretty much what I had decided on. Thanks for your help its appreciated.

Steve

Hi, with your new decal "close up" I can see that this one is a Quist style decal and not a Pocher as I first thought. You can see that the rune finishes just below the sharp break to the shield, just as a Quist should. I still think this helmet is a good one but as Doug says, this would have to be a Quist made shell to match up with the decal. Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS relic helmet opinions wanted  

?

With the further photos this looks a good one , certainly no prep work has been done around the decal which does look to be a good Q , as for the paint and the condition it has the appearance of many i have seen come out of the ground in Northern russia and Eastern Estonia, in fact i have afew similar ones sitting near to me now !!

Is the seller a well known digger !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast