Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

SS relic lid in Classifieds

Article about: by ostlanddigger I agree with you SSamir about knowledge of DougB.He,s like running SShelmets BIBLE. About helmet -you can,t add fake dekal to such condition helmet .I mean you can-but it wi

?

Default Re: SS relic lid in Classifieds

Quote by ostlanddigger View Post
    I agree with you SSamir about knowledge of DougB.He,s like running SShelmets BIBLE.
    About helmet -you can,t add fake dekal to such condition helmet .I mean you can-but it will be clearly seen,cauze you can,t age decal so naturaly to condition of helmet.As moustly SS helmets i pass trough my hands where from battlefields-surface found,half surface,completly from ground,wet bunkers with swampy water and many other -with different conditions of decals,-I compare this with all i seen and made my own verdict for this helmet.
    But i respect your opinion very much .
    Don't get me wrong, not saying its bad, it could well be a good one, just saying its best to be extra careful. ADM is here. A miracle tool IMO for the helmet collecting community. Let's take advantage of it. Lets see what we could find.

Regards
    Samir

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS relic lid in Classifieds
    P
    Many

Quote by SSamir View Post
    Don't get me wrong, not saying its bad, it could well be a good one, just saying its best to be extra careful. ADM is here. A miracle tool IMO for the helmet collecting community. Let's take advantage of it. Lets see what we could find.

Regards
    Samir
    Yep-sometimes our scepticism may help safe our cash,sometimes we have to be careful with our scepticism to.
    Good to know that we think the same frequece

?

What the hell is ADM ???

Regards, Lars

?

ADM = Advanced Digital Magnification.
    It's going beyond using a simple jewelers loupe and using a digital microscope to magnify up to 400x. My theory was twofold,1- that fakers cannot replicate to a magnified level and 2- that individual decals including fakes will have a certain and specific traits to them at a highly magnified level of detail. Both have thus far proven to be true in SS decals. There's many a thread on GHW including several pinned threads on this, I've not the time at the moment to expand further but it's a very useful tool however it doesn't replace knowledge and cautions required to make judgements as many comparables need to be made before drawing a conclusion.

PS thank you for the compliments, and like I said I think even ADM might not help in the case. It's got to be a gut determining factor and I tend to think this helmets a good one.

?

Quote by Datrus View Post
    What the hell is ADM ???

Regards, Lars
    Lars, I own two of these ingenious contraptions. I have the model discovery made by veho. I have one that magnifies up to 200X and the other that magnifies up to 400X magnification. I use both every week to study SS decals. Not an easy task, time consuming, but I love it, and if you love twisting your eyeballs you start to pick up on what you need to see. As Doug stated, you need both, fake and originals to compare, that way you have a better understanding. Doug has a sticky on this subject, check it out!

Samir
    Last edited by SSamir; 07-26-2012 at 02:40 AM.

?

Here's some of the fakes I study. I have a few other types not pictured in another binder.

Below is a quick shot of a low end fake with 20X magnification. (You already can tell its bad).

Heres another shot but this time with 400X the magnification. At 400X the magnification, it gets confusing for first timers. Note the pulver in this one is kind of thin and the graphics of the rune is incorrect, made by a modern inkjet copier, but its best to look up Dougb's sticky thread on ADM or you can ask member DH (Frank), he also knows ADM well.

I also learned you must practice on few different types of fakes and few different types of originals to have a better understanding of what to look for or expect. I myself still practice, but with limited originals and fakes it can be long and a tough learning experience (at least for me it is).

?

Thank you Doug and Samir for the thorough explanation. I got the point

Regards, Lars

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5