Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

"SS2" decal. Opinions please

Article about: That is just disgraceful,i fail to see how this guys reputation will last acting like that.I certainly would not touch any of his gear in the future if i had been dealing with him!

Default Re: "SS2" decal. Opinions please

Adrian ... Thanks for your comments, and guidance using this blog.

My main collecting interests are 3rd Reich Edged Weapons, I've been collecting them for 30yrs +
    The opportunity to purchase the SS Helmet came about at the right time and the right price,unfortunately these off the cuff purchases sometimes do not work out.
    I have humed and arghed about many a Dagger, only to find they have been sold before I make my mind up.
    I don't or never have confessed to being an expert on Helmets, I relied on the honesty of the Dealer, but certainly got burnt with this one.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement "SS2" decal. Opinions please
    P
    Many

Stevade, Your comments are warranted, I was a bit harsh. I have had a pretty bad week, and took it out on you in what I think (hope) is a relatively uncharacteristic way. I have in the past posted comments on this forum about civility, and it appears that I should have read them before I hit the "post" button in this thread. My apologies to you and the others who read that post. And yes, I have made several big mistakes in my collecting over the years. I wish I had access to a forum such as this or the GHW before those costly mistakes were made (as does, I might add, my wife!). Anyway, please accept my apology. Good luck with the refund. Jim G.

?

This helmet was posted here by a collector a while back as well, I am sure this is where I saw it at one point.

Yes Stevade, mistakes are made and the most information you can get saying this is fake is best if it assists you with a refund. I do not think Jim meant any harm. In the day and age of informal communication via forums and twitter and facebook we cannot interpret ones intent sometimes by written word on these informal settings, and I can see how your post may be interpreted by some who also view other fora as a hope this one is real so as to discredit other opinions.

It is a fantasy item no question and great you can cop a refund. I do agree that this dealer who is flogging this should be called out. It wont prevent him from flogging it again but it will narrow those who travel to his website or storefront -- we hope.

Helmet 2id ... I thank you for your apology .... I was not after a glimer of hope that this Helmet was ok... But like I said the more people that dismiss it's authenticity the better case I would have for a refund, as it is not what it was sold / bought as
    " Certificate of Authenticity " states ********* LTD ( the seller ) HERBY CONFIRM THAT THE ITEMS DESCRIBED BELOW.
    Description: SS SINGLE DECAL HELMET.Genuine item made between 1939 and 1945. IS AN AUTHENTIC GENUINE ITEM OF THE PERIOD STATED.
    ******* SIGNED *****, FOR AND ON BEHALF OF ******** LTD
    As you can read the Helmet is certainly does not match this criteria.
    Once again apology accepted, and I do appriciate your advice / comments.

?

One of these helmets appeared in The Armourer International Militaria Collectors Guide for 2010. The price was £600.

This is exactly why DougB's recent thread on buying german (ss) helmets is so important; knowledge can save us all alot of money!
    I am very happy you are getting your money back Stevade.

?

Quote by fch630 View Post
    One of these helmets appeared in The Armourer International Militaria Collectors Guide for 2010. The price was £600.
    This is the danger of printed material, unknowning collectors may see something in a book which is erroneous or an assumption and thus a mistake can be made. One thing, if there was a real SS2 decal, the price would be astronomical, not $600 UK. Thus I would be concerned that the Armourer is not a source that can be trusted for authentic valuations or items.

?

Quote by DougB View Post
    This is the danger of printed material, unknowning collectors may see something in a book which is erroneous or an assumption and thus a mistake can be made. One thing, if there was a real SS2 decal, the price would be astronomical, not $600 UK. Thus I would be concerned that the Armourer is not a source that can be trusted for authentic valuations or items.
    Valid point Doug , the Editors of the Armourer and it's guide should have known better as they are involved in dealing Militaria in the UK and although these lids were circulating as original about 12 years ago it is common knowledge now that they clearly are not !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

I must admit in my 20 odd years of collecting i have never come across one of these,a bit of an eye popper for me! I find it hard to understand how something like this has been "fooling" collectors for all these years as it is a one look fake of the worst order to me.I have never seen any period photographs of anything like this so why would a buyer go for it? I am glad you are getting a refund however and the best advice i could give the seller is remove that fantasy decal.

?

The seller actually removed the 2 from the decal and tried to resell it as real, again.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast