Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

USB Telescope for my first ADM analysing

Article about: Doug, its always a pleasure chatting with u. Many collectors learn from these chats.

Default USB Telescope for my first ADM analysing

I have just bought a USB telescope and I wonder if my first Pictures telling something about the decals. Its not my helmets, I just tested my new "toy" on them. I Think that the articles about ADM are very interesting so therefor I want to try it and use the tecnique when I should by a helmet.

Opinions about the pictures are welcome.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USB Telescope for my first ADM analysing   USB Telescope for my first ADM analysing  

USB Telescope for my first ADM analysing   USB Telescope for my first ADM analysing  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement USB Telescope for my first ADM analysing
    P
    Many

Nice to see people starting to play with this. I have had mine a few years now and did a lot of decals.

As with any research tool it takes time and experience and it is not just about the close-ups alone , a topic about any decal should feature all the helmet photos and a regular decal close-up and then the 25x zoom and 200x zoom close-ups.

Hi , and welcome to the forum , I won't comment on the decals originality as we would need to see the helmet as a whole with these great close ups. One thing these images do highlight is that this decal is not a modern "razor tooth" type. The edges are smooth as they should be on originals. Nice toy , keep playing with it!! Leon.

?

Fun toy.

I need to get one of these.
    Thank you for posting.

Cheers
    Nuno

I've had mine about a year, and only looked at a handful of decals under a scope like this but it really does help to understand what you are looking at. You can see the layering and composition much better than even a loupe. Bugs are interesting too

?

What brand did you buy?

?

I pioneered USB analysis and you need a host of identical decals to understand the fingerprints. Also knowledge of period and modern print techniques is good to have. I dont have time to get into this in detail but the knowledge takes years to acquire, it doesn't come with the box. It's also not a silver bullet. In the right hands its powerful however. But still great to use it, it's inexpensive and really just a very powerful loupe that can save images to the digital realm, in high resolution and large format.

Its a "plexgear" USB-mikroskop 2 Mp Made in China and I gave about 100:- USD for it. It is maybe not the best on the market - but a good first start I Think. I like yours and DougB:s articles about ADM and I Think its a help even to examine other militaria items.

I also wonder how the Printing of the fake decals develop since 1945? Maybe the fakes from the 1950 - 1960:s are better Before the computer era ?

?

Quote by schalburg View Post
    I also wonder how the Printing of the fake decals develop since 1945? Maybe the fakes from the 1950 - 1960:s are better Before the computer era ?
    With what i've seen the old fakes appear to have more quality, but most are graphically incorrect.

By the way, I use a Veho. Here's a few examples of an original SS decal.

Make sure the scope NEVER touches the decal!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast