Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

White camo SS M40, Quist

Article about: UK my friend. And ask anyone, they will tell you that it was forbidden to take any souvenirs .........Then......and now

Default re: White camo SS M40, Quist

UK my friend.

And ask anyone, they will tell you that it was forbidden to take any souvenirs .........Then......and now

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement White camo SS M40, Quist
    P
    Many

landser
    ?

Default Re: White camo SS M40, Quist

Quote by JMB View Post
    UK my friend.

And ask anyone, they will tell you that it was forbidden to take any souvenirs .........Then......and now
    Those rules must apply to your country, we are allowed to take MILITARY souvenirs, I'm not sure why you couldn't keep any, I saw when the Desert Rats rotated out and they had a lot of Iraqi goods, they even hauled out a gigantic staute of Saddam on a trailer! As long as it's military, then we can keep it. If you were "forbidden" at that time by your nation, then I am truly sorry for your loss. What harm is there from a helmet or beret?

OKW
    ?

It wasn't so much the war souvenirs as such although the British establishment doesn't like the idea of its citizens being armed, class war etc, but taxation. H.M Customs would have been ready at the gangplank to collect dues on items such as cameras, watches etc. The British soldier being paid a pittance and probably from a family still suffering the effects of the depression had no access to funds to pay the duty on goods obtained by barter for issue cigarettes, chocolate and coffee. Rather than have items confiscated they threw them over the side. Again i heard the same type of tale from someone who was conscripted just at the end of ww2, did garrison duties with BAOR, when it was occupation not of, returned end 1946 loaded with goodies and he and his whole unit, officers included, tipped the lot into the harbour rather than see stuff confiscated and sold at auction to those with money, i.e those who didn't serve. Apparantly you could have a very good time In Germany with a carton of cigs, they being the accepted currency for a considerable time after the cessation of hostilities.

My grandfather couldnt bring anything in from Italy WW2 or Korea 53 as he said it was taken away and a refusal would get you in big trouble.... even though his american pal and troop shipped stuff out by the wagon load... his words before he died!
    Dan

Quote by landser View Post
    Those rules must apply to your country, we are allowed to take MILITARY souvenirs,
    I know you can!
    Who do you think took Saddams gold plated weapons? It wasn't us! I was introduced to the General of the current 101st Airborne , and he had crates of stuff going back to the states. Not that we cared.

But a Lt Col (British) flying out of Basra was fined.................. heavily...........trying to get out of the country a small brass tea set with 4 cups and some p****y tea pot.

landser
    ?

I found a beautiful numbers matching K98 Mauser in Basra in 2003. I still had to go to to Baghdad during the invasion so I couldn't take it with me, what a loss.

Got an Iraqi beret and a whisky glass from BAI thats it oh and a wee bag of sand

Quote by citizen View Post
    Got an Iraqi beret and a whisky glass from BAI thats it oh and a wee bag of sand
    What a god awefull place I meant to grab a tin of sand, but then again, did i really want to remember the place that much? Got my closest call to the reaper at BIAP.

8 days before end ex! now that's more than lucky

Hey was there on Telic 4 when the buggers started to mortar the APOD and when the rocket landed on the concours

Quote by citizen View Post
    Hey was there on Telic 4 when the buggers started to mortar the APOD and when the rocket landed on the concours
    Telic 1 into 2 nice to see you here I was in the crossed swords square when we got hit and banged up pretty bad. all good fun eh

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast