Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Winter helmet Named SS - Roster help?

Article about: Gents, Picked up this helmet from the estate of a 101st veteran who had his unis, medals, and German souvenirs available. Soooo, I took a calculated risk on it being authentic as all of his

Default Re: Winter helmet Named SS - Roster help?

Snow cammo almost impossible to determine I can tell you in 50 years I have seen only about two that were real. I am in agreement with others on painted name looks like it was put over rust not a good sign but who knows with these. Yours sounds like a good providence though or rather where it came from. So never say never. timothy

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Winter helmet Named SS - Roster help?
    P
    Many

?

Quote by timothy View Post
    Snow cammo almost impossible to determine I can tell you in 50 years I have seen only about two that were real. I am in agreement with others on painted name looks like it was put over rust not a good sign but who knows with these. Yours sounds like a good providence though or rather where it came from. So never say never. timothy
    Timothy, just an FYI Providence is a place in Rhode Island. Provenance is the word your looking for.

?

Quote by DougB View Post
    Timothy, just an FYI Providence is a place in Rhode Island. Provenance is the word your looking for.
    Been to Providence, but always looking for provenance.
    Regards,
    John

not a WW2 painted helmet.

Quote by DougB View Post
    Dictation police (i don't want to say 'dictation Nazi'... especially in this forum... ) alert!!!

?

The paint underneath of the white is base redish brown, and seems it's a kinda postwar painted lid for such a civil use as a flower pot etc, I have seen that kind of helmets painted in different funny colors. The name on the appron, added later than white paint itself .
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Sorry for wrong word should have said knowing the background and where it came which he has already stated. timothy

Odd that two people have picked this up direct from a 101st veteran's estate? Another case of buy the item not the story.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Quote by timothy View Post
    Sorry for wrong word should have said knowing the background and where it came which he has already stated. timothy
    No worries Timothy, it's just a pet peeve of mine. I would say however and with due respect he doesn't know the background or whence it came (provenance), he has only been told this which isn't very good provenance as it is completely untraceable. The list of fake items with untraceable provenance is long indeed.

Oh well if that's the case you are 100 percent right Doug. Post above said that two people have picked it up from 101 vet good reason to be suspicious. Thanks timothy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast