Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1939 Spange zum Eisernen Kreuzes 1er klasse 1914

Article about: Hi folks, I have had this Spange in my possession for a number of years and believe it to be 100% original , As you can see it has no makers mark but trawling through CM sgt Jims's excellent

Default 1939 Spange zum Eisernen Kreuzes 1er klasse 1914

Hi folks, I have had this Spange in my possession for a number of years and believe it to be 100% original , As you can see it has no makers mark but trawling through CM sgt Jims's excellent spange thread I now believe it to be by the unknown maker Eugen Schmidhaussler,
    any thoughts good or bad Gentlemen ? Regards ,Paul

1939 Spange zum Eisernen Kreuzes 1er klasse 19141939 Spange zum Eisernen Kreuzes 1er klasse 19141939 Spange zum Eisernen Kreuzes 1er klasse 19141939 Spange zum Eisernen Kreuzes 1er klasse 1914
    Last edited by paulscoot; 08-18-2016 at 12:10 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1939 Spange zum Eisernen Kreuzes 1er klasse 1914
    P
    Many

looks ok to me.

It looks okay to me as well. It looks as though the front may have been cleaned at one time.
    Here is my latest example, with photos of both of my examples posted as well.
    Ralph.
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/1939-...ussler-601934/
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thanks for that link to your thread Ralph, Mine looks like it was made from the same die as your left hand one . Would I be right in thinking that mine (& yours on the left) are made of Tombak and are therefore early wartime awards ? Regards ,Paul

Quote by paulscoot View Post
    Thanks for that link to your thread Ralph, Mine looks like it was made from the same die as your left hand one . Would I be right in thinking that mine (& yours on the left) are made of Tombak and are therefore early wartime awards ? Regards ,Paul
    The clasp is actually made from nickel silver.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks big Ned for putting me straight on the material, would I be right in thinking then that nickel silver would be early production & that maybe there are identical but zinc versions out there ? regards ,Paul

Quote by paulscoot View Post
    Thanks big Ned for putting me straight on the material, would I be right in thinking then that nickel silver would be early production & that maybe there are identical but zinc versions out there ? regards ,Paul
    Yes, N/S was used on the very earliest awards of various types, but even then the makers using it were limited due to the high cost of nickel thus meaning many other makers used tombak/buntmetall during the same period. Juncker being a top drawer maker of early awards made N/S Luft and Army Flak badges, Pilot badges, Spanienkreuz, IAB's and PAB's etc. but this soon ceased once the war was well under way and supplies became scarce. I think it's fairly certain that due to war needs/costs, N/S ceased being used almost entirely by early to mid 1941 when it came to awards and medals, possibly earlier.

Regarding the maker Eugen Schmidthausser, I'm not sure there's evidence they produced zinc Spanges.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks for the reply Big Ned , Concise & informative as ever ( a gold mine of information) thanks again ,Regards , Paul