Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Buying an Eisernes Kreuz 1kl with award document

Article about: Hi all, I'm taking a short trip this weekend to Milan, where I found a good militaria shop with some really nice items. These include a number of EK1's, with the award documents, and some ph

Question Buying an Eisernes Kreuz 1kl with award document

Hi all,

I'm taking a short trip this weekend to Milan, where I found a good militaria shop with some really nice items. These include a number of EK1's, with the award documents, and some photos of recipients.

I've researched what good EK1's sell for, and of course looked around the forum marketplace too. I also know that the value of the cross + award is whatever you are prepared to pay For me, this is not an investment, it is a hobby, and wanting to hold onto a slice of history.

In that regard, and not wanting to be ripped off badly, are prices of 400-600 euro for a good quality EK1 with document reasonable (taking into account, it is from a dealer, so always more than a private sale)? I have not seen any come up for sale locally, and I trust eBay very little when it comes to item values, so I don't have too much of a reference.

I would appreciate your thoughts. I would love to have one in my collection (especially with documentation/history), but I can hold back if possibly I can get a better deal elsewhere/later.

Thanks everyone

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Buying an Eisernes Kreuz 1kl with award document
    P
    Many

?

Iron Hussar... Why not simply view the "Classifieds" on this very Forum ??? G
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

This was the one I was looking at, listed as 450 euro. It looks to be in good condition (albeit unboxed).

Buying an Eisernes Kreuz 1kl with award documentBuying an Eisernes Kreuz 1kl with award documentBuying an Eisernes Kreuz 1kl with award documentBuying an Eisernes Kreuz 1kl with award documentBuying an Eisernes Kreuz 1kl with award document
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Buying an Eisernes Kreuz 1kl with award document  

Quote by Gwar View Post
    Iron Hussar... Why not simply view the "Classifieds" on this very Forum ??? G
    Yep, did that already I can see the prices of 200usd/euro+ for EK1's, however as I have not seen very many with documentation come up, that was reason for my question. Apologies if I missed anything obvious, but I couldn't see any with documents in there.

?

That's quite alright... To each his own... You do know that with provenance there is a steeper price $$ wise as their more valuable...
    Good luck on your quest... G

Absolutely - and also why I mentioned that the inherent value of the item is whatever you're willing to pay (if you're not looking at it from an investment point of view).

Price quoted seems about right for a dealer, but the chances of the cross and award certificate being together forever are down to unshakeable provenance, and that is hard come by. The probability this is a put together ensemble is highly likely, but so what? Does it really matter?

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

big ned.. You are correct... I frequently place cap insignia in front of photos that, although resemble the said likeness wearing the item, cannot be placed as "Provenance"... Good point.. And again... Good call... G

Cheers Ned - indeed, understand about the document and cross being a complete set is unlikely. That particular part of the equation does not bother me (although of course, to have a matching set is always a nice thing).

It is easy to get ripped off, particularly in this game, so I'm trying to have a few facts behind me. Being in the store and holding the item, it's easy to get over excited and make the purchase without reasoning