Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is this class 1 spange the real thing?

Article about: Definitely not genuine...sorry.

Default Is this class 1 spange the real thing?

Is this class 1 spange the real thing?Is this class 1 spange the real thing?I picked this class 1 spange at a cheap price and would like an opinion of its originality or being a replica. The obverse side looks sharp to me with good definition to the head and feathers. But when you turn it over, the clasp is like no other that I have seen on these WW2 medals. It is the needle style but has a moving lock to keep the pin from popping out. It is silver as you can see by the tarnish but shows no manufacturers number on back. My guess is that it is a replica because od the type of clasp on back. Thanks
    Darrell

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this class 1 spange the real thing?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Is this class 1 spange the real thing?

To me it looks like a fake. Heavy stippling within the wreath, strange pin and a poor finish

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

appears to be no stippling whatsoever in the date field.

i have to throw in with Woolgar on this one.

yes a fake hope you didnt spend too much !!

I agree, fake...reverse hardware is incorrect, I notice the different wing-tips as well...
    cheers, Glenn

?

It's a fake based on a 2nd class Spange, not a 1st class, the wings are too short.

The reverse set up is unlike any original. A 2nd class Spange would have prongs on the back to attach to a ribbon.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

all of you gentlemen have mentioned the reverse hardware. leaving this out, as i did, is a disservice to members. i have to remember sometimes that what might be an obvious issue to many of us may not be so obvious to other members who may, in the future, use this resource.

this kind of retention device with the rotational clasp is unknown in these spangen and is certainly a red flag which should not at all be overlooked.

And the 'angry chicken' head? That stinks...

first impression... pass this one up

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post. Everyone has made good points that are obvious now. I bought it for $30 from someone who also sold me a silver close combat badge for $150 that I know for sure is legit. So I knew I would be ahead if this one was fake and took a chance. With all the variances with manufacturers, I thought there was a chance. It's hard to know everything with all the possible German medal types.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast