Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse

Article about: All good mood! 1.Who is the manufacturer of the cross? The needle can be repaired.

BTR
    ?

Thank you!
    With the manufacturer is now clear.
    But there was one more question.
    2. The core of this cross, has a "cobweb", characteristic of many crosses of the period, which was formed under the lacquer coating.
    The problem is that at this cross, no varnish, and the black color of the core is a consequence - bluing.
    How is this possible?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse
    P
    Many

That's a good question and would require someone with a more intimate knowledge of period construction methods to answer completely. But if the center cores were painted with lacquer, which is probable; it's not the most durable of finishes. Lacquer is a physical drying paint (non catalyzed and remains soluble) which means if anyone used an aggressive cleaning method or the surface was exposed to any type of solvent, even nail polish remover it would smear/remove the black finish and or subsequent undercoat. I think more than likely if this is found commonly on EK cores, what the most likely cause is the solvent had finally left the paint film and as a result it started to separate or cobweb as you described it. On older cars finished with lacquer this is a common occurrence however we refer to it as crowsfeet or line checking. Also not to be overlooked is the environment the badge was stored in and also what cleaning process was used, as evident at some point your example has undergone some cleaning but a good amount of natural patina remains, so no harm done. Best regards.

Brian

Quote by BTR View Post
    Thank you!
    With the manufacturer is now clear.
    But there was one more question.
    2. The core of this cross, has a "cobweb", characteristic of many crosses of the period, which was formed under the lacquer coating.
    The problem is that at this cross, no varnish, and the black color of the core is a consequence - bluing.
    How is this possible?
    They are known as 'veins' and are rust lines...some collectors like this feature on a cross, I am one of them

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

BTR
    ?

If the varnish was removed for some reason, then the producer is obtained before painting - bluing of iron?

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    They are known as 'veins' and are rust lines...some collectors like this feature on a cross, I am one of them

Nick
    Yes, for me, the "veins" on the iron cross is a good sign.

Hí guys IMO this the cross a Wiedmann type ,although IMO the pin was replace

I'm with Brian on this one, B.H. Mayer with replaced pin.

The technical term for spidering or rust veins is called filiform corrosion.....

Regards,
    Nick

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2