Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse for Review.

Article about: Hello. I am new to the Forum and would like to ask your opinion of this item which I purchased 25 years ago in terms of Originality and current value. What is the best way to clean it? Many

?

Default Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse for Review.

Hello. I am new to the Forum and would like to ask your opinion of this item which I purchased 25 years ago in terms of Originality and current value. What is the best way to clean it? Many thanks in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse for Review.   Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse for Review.  

Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse for Review.  
    Last edited by rbminis; 12-26-2014 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Edited title to use correct German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse for Review.
    P
    Many

A soft bristle brush would get a lot of the dirt off, but that looks pretty caked in. If the brush doesn't get it, you might try a damp (not wet) Q-tip, although keep in mind if that's an iron (magnetic) core (assuming EK1's have cores like EK2's), iron and water do not mix, so be conservative with it. Certainly don't use cleaners or polish that might damage it or remove patina.

If the dirt cleans off easy, it looks like it might have real nice paint left. If so, I've been seeing similar awards priced around $250-$300 depending on how minty it is.

Something to consider however, the way the dirt looks on that, it makes me wonder if this is like it is from being field worn and gathering dust and dirt. From a historical perspective, it might be a shame to clean it if it would really be removing the visible evidence that it was in the thick of things. Perhaps others might comment on this as well. Sometimes, it's better to leave things as they are, even if it would be all shiny and pristine if cleaned. That means it's like every other shiny pristine EK's out there, where right now there's something unique about the look of it which you can never get back once cleaned.

Hí this is a original Klein & Quenzer type
    I do not clean and so I would leave as unearthed
    the value IMO 130-150€

Do not clean it. It looks great how it is!

Quote by Lakesidetrader View Post
    Do not clean it. It looks great how it is!
    Agreed! Would make a great addition to a DAK display IMO.

Regards

Quote by Eisernes Kreuz 2 View Post
    Hí this is a original Klein & Quenzer type
    I do not clean and so I would leave as unearthed
    the value IMO 130-150€
    I second Sanya's advice !

Nice cross

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Thank you everyone who has replied. Is it possible to tell the approximate date of manufacture? Late war/early war?

nice one,don't clean.