Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Eisernes Kreuz 1 MM 15 (Friedrich Orth, Wien) mit Etui

Article about: Hi folks, A recent pick up for me, a cased EK1 by Orth. I believe it's a good one, but I have a couple of questions. I've read that these were often put together using frames from Souval, ca

Default Eisernes Kreuz 1 MM 15 (Friedrich Orth, Wien) mit Etui

Hi folks,

A recent pick up for me, a cased EK1 by Orth. I believe it's a good one, but I have a couple of questions. I've read that these were often put together using frames from Souval, can anyone tell me if this is one of them?

Secondly, that the core was often non magnetic. I haven't been able to test this one yet, but there is slight signs of rust on the core when viewed under a loup, is this compatible with an original?

I believe that the frames by this maker had a small 'dimple' that was suposedly a marker for the suspension loop of EKII's to be fitted, and this was found on the 12 o'clock or 3 o'clock arms of the EK1's. On mine it's at 6 o'clock, is that normal?

All opinions are welcome, as these are really not my strong point, and any info is appreciated.

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eisernes Kreuz 1 MM 15 (Friedrich Orth, Wien) mit Etui   Eisernes Kreuz 1 MM 15 (Friedrich Orth, Wien) mit Etui  

Eisernes Kreuz 1 MM 15 (Friedrich Orth, Wien) mit Etui   Eisernes Kreuz 1 MM 15 (Friedrich Orth, Wien) mit Etui  

Eisernes Kreuz 1 MM 15 (Friedrich Orth, Wien) mit Etui   Eisernes Kreuz 1 MM 15 (Friedrich Orth, Wien) mit Etui  

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eisernes Kreuz 1 MM 15 (Friedrich Orth, Wien) mit Etui
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Eisernes Kreuz 1 MM 15 (Friedrich Orth, Wien) mit Etui

Look like a good Orth Ned with no Souval parts that I can see. It matches other Orth crosses and has all the features you would expect.

The dimple can be found on the frame at the end of any of the four arms. It depended on which way the person assembling the cross orientated it but my suspicion was that they probably didn't take too much notice, hence the differing positions on various crosses.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

i don't see anything wrong with this one at all.

frame was probably inverted during assembly.

my examples have a punched sheet metal type catch and your's is a wire version so a variation there from the couple i have.

a very small rust spot or two can be observed on these crosses in my experience.

- - Updated - -

Adrian and I typing at the same type, reaching the same conclusions.

good, right?

nice cross. congratulations.

Ilike it Ned.

?

I like it as well ........... sorry Ned !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Look like a good Orth Ned with no Souval parts that I can see. It matches other Orth crosses and has all the features you would expect.

The dimple can be found on the frame at the end of any of the four arms. It depended on which way the person assembling the cross orientated it but my suspicion was that they probably didn't take too much notice, hence the differing positions on various crosses.
    Thanks Adrian, that's a relief! I had a couple of concerns after I'd paid for it when I looked a little deeper at this makers crosses, and had understood that the Souval type were not as desirable, but I don't know if that's the case or makes no difference.

Anyway, no matter, I'm happy with it, just gotta stop buying stuff on impulse....it's getting a habit!
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    ...just gotta stop buying stuff on impulse....it's getting a habit!
    no. keep that up. i like it.

post your next one.

here's the catch on one of mine:

i post this only to show the variation and not that i see it as an issue.

good cross in good condition. that's what you have.

Thanks for the opinions and kind words fella's, it's appreciated!

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    Anyway, no matter, I'm happy with it, just gotta stop buying stuff on impulse....it's getting a habit!
    I know how you feel. My collection of beige espadrilles are getting out of hand. I should start buying militaria again......

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

whoa.

or should i say "woe".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast