Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Eisernes Kreuz 2.Klasse - fake or real

Article about: More than good its a steal... I got my first iron cross at £75 then my second at £80 and even then the second didn't have a ribbon but had a rare makers mark. An iron cross is always at the

Default Re: Iron cross fake or real

More than good its a steal... I got my first iron cross at £75 then my second at £80 and even then the second didn't have a ribbon but had a rare makers mark. An iron cross is always at the heart of ones collection and if it turns out good then congratulations cause you scored yourself a beautiful piece

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eisernes Kreuz 2.Klasse - fake or real
    P
    Many

well i got to go and see it tomorrow so if i buy it i will post pics on here i am rather excited about it now daft as it sounds

Quote by n0valyfe View Post
    If any black paint is on the outer rim of the medal from the parts i have marked in yellow. Sometimes on repros, especially lazy ones; traces of black paint is on the rims

Attachment 406115
    From what I have learnt here, this also happens on genuine crosses, they had their lazy days as well.

£50 is on the bargain side, most of my good pickups are between £56-70 for an EK2, mm or not.
    Rise & ReverberateGib mir wieder etwas Schönes

?

Default Re: Eisernes Kreuz 2.Klasse - fake or real

This is a fake cross. Do not buy it!!!!!!

It looks like a Zimmermann, tries to be a Souval and fails on both counts.

The beading pattern on the frame does not match with any known wartime cross. Note also the wide flange on the frame on one side of the 12o'clock arm and the narrow flange on the opposite side.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eisernes Kreuz 2.Klasse - fake or real  

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Well spotted Ade and after taking a closer look, all four beading corners don't match.

?

Quote by stefanr View Post
    Well spotted Ade and after taking a closer look, all four beading corners don't match.
    Most EK inner corners don't match exactly but these don't match anything made before May 1945.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Most EK inner corners don't match exactly but these don't match anything made before May 1945.
    That's why I leave it to the experts to quantify, 15 months old and still learning.

The corners of the swastika look sharp as well which isn't that common with the manufacturer also the bottom right side of the swastika looks like it is sitting inside the rim. Sometimes when the case becomes loose it can slide down however Adrian has made a very valid point that I wish I saw

Adrian I think I just looked at your post wrong, did you say beaded patterns don't appear on ww2 Iron crosses? Or is it only of that era of maker?

Good observation Adrian

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Well spotted Adrian.

I believe this is the so-called 'Stuttgart Fake'.
    As Adrian pointed out, it has the Souval-like outer corners, (the inner beading corners is somewhat like Deschler style) and the give-away (for me) is the extra wide bead step. It can also be found with a 'hump' at the jump-ring.

Sometimes found with marked rings too. Here's one (marked as a 25) that was sold as a 'battle damaged relic'.
    Note the only area rust free is around the bullet hole - the first place that rust should form!!
    (Picture belongs to WAF member Hunmilitaria - if there are any copyright issues I will remove it)

Regards - Danny
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eisernes Kreuz 2.Klasse - fake or real  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast