Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse - field modified

Article about: This interesting Iron Cross came my way the other day. I do know that a lot of collectors will not touch them, mainly due to the fact it can never be ascertained when the field conversion to

Default Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse - field modified

This interesting Iron Cross came my way the other day. I do know that a lot of collectors will not touch them, mainly due to the fact it can never be ascertained when the field conversion to Ritterkreuz took place, it literally could have been at any time. And no matter how it was worn, it is still only an EK 11. The cross itself carries the ST & L '4' on the frame, which in itself is unusual. The ribbon is actually two lengths of EK 11 ribbon overlapped and sewn together along the edge of the red band. The little ring which has replaced the original ring is neatly soldered together, and the Ritterkreuz loop is '800' marked, very well finished, and of the correct dimensions of a wartime loop. The loop has also been stitched to the ribbon to stop it moving. Ends of ribbon are rather crudely stitched with 'dog' stitches, and laces attached for tying around the neck. The ribbon is actually quite grubby on the outside face - although the photographs tend to make it look clean. I have put an original RK ribbon next to the end of the modified ribbon for comparisons... the borders on the original RK ribbon being broader. All stitching has been subjected to a 'fire' test, and is OK. Click on images to enlarge.

Cheers,
    Steve

Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse - field modifiedEisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse - field modifiedEisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse - field modifiedEisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse - field modifiedEisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse - field modifiedEisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse - field modifiedEisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse - field modifiedEisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse - field modifiedEisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse - field modifiedEisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse - field modifiedEisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse - field modified

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse - field modified
    P
    Many

Very nice Steve!
    I don't know a lot about the RK loops, but this one looks okay to me.
    The small ribbon ring could have been installed on this cross so that it could be mounted on a medal bar.
    Congrats!
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Very nice Steve!
    I don't know a lot about the RK loops, but this one looks okay to me.
    The small ribbon ring could have been installed on this cross so that it could be mounted on a medal bar.
    Congrats!
    Ralph.
    Hi Ralph,

The small loop was apparently a common addition to the field converted EK's so that the RK loop could be attached as per the RK. Often the small loop was also stamped with a silver content, but this one isn't. Another bonus was that with some hard bargaining, I secured it for almost half the dealers asking price... a very reputable dealer too. I paid him just £10 more than he purchased it for. I pointed out the risks and pitfalls of these 'converted' medals, offered him a silly price... and he let me have it!

Cheers,
    Steve