Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse real or fake?

Article about: Hello, I bought this over 12 years ago as a replica, but I'm not sure whether it may in fact be real. The ribbon loop certainly isn't original (and neither is the ribbon). Thanks if anyone c

Default Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse real or fake?

Hello,
    I bought this over 12 years ago as a replica, but I'm not sure whether it may in fact be real. The ribbon loop certainly isn't original (and neither is the ribbon). Thanks if anyone can help me!

Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse real or fake?Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse real or fake?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse real or fake?
    P
    Many

Welcome to the forum Soviet 44, Afraid to say that it appears to be a one piece cast reproduction in my opinion ,cheers,Paul

Thanks!

Ah, that's a shame. It does have a seam line that goes around the edge, or do casts have that too? I'm not really sure how they're constructed. I'm new to this!

I think the giveaway is the black paint that bled into the ribbed texture on the frame. The cores on original ones were painted before going into the frame. Reproductions often exhibit black paint where it shouldn't be. The only one piece I know of that is believed to be an original EK2 is from a handful of replacements made in Japan for soldiers from a ship that was sunk while in port in Japan. Those are solid silver, and rare like a unicorn.

Quote by Soviet44 View Post
    Thanks!

Ah, that's a shame. It does have a seam line that goes around the edge, or do casts have that too? I'm not really sure how they're constructed. I'm new to this!
    Hello and welcome to the forum!
    The majority of crosses are a three piece construction. Two frames and a core. I believe yours shows a casting seam, not a construction seam. I am inclined to agree with Paul and the fact that the core material where the paint is missing is the same color as the frame is not a good sign.
    Stay a while and study the many crosses posted here if you intend to remain in the hobby.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by avenger View Post
    The only one piece believed to be an original EK2 is from a handful of replacements made in Japan for soldiers from a ship that was sunk while in port in Japan. Those are solid silver, and rare like a unicorn.
    This not true Scott, there are original one piece EKs. Unfortunately, I do not believe this is one of them.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I thought the Japanese one was it.... Well if not, I sand corrected sir.

As I can't seem to get the search function on this site to work properly for me, here is a thread on WAF.
    Otto Schickle made the one-piece Schinkels: A Theory - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums
    Ralph.

Great info, thank you! The black paint is quite an obvious giveaway once you notice it. I'll be doing a lot of research before I pick up my first real one of these

Quote by rbminis View Post
    As I can't seem to get the search function on this site to work properly for me, here is a thread on WAF.
    Otto Schickle made the one-piece Schinkels: A Theory - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums
    Ralph.
    Intersting. So, is paint bleeding into the frame texture not always a giveaway either? It's the first thing I generally see folks here pick out when they see one of these that they suspect, but this Schinkel EK posted by streptile over at WAF appears to have pretty sloppy paint application to it (assuming that's not been repainted by a post war owner):

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast