Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse for review

Article about: hey everybody, New to the forum and to collecting. I recently purchased a Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse and would appreciate any thoughts as to it's authenticity. It is magnetic, seems to be of a

Default Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse for review

hey everybody,

New to the forum and to collecting. I recently purchased a Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse and would appreciate any thoughts as to it's authenticity. It is magnetic, seems to be of a three piece construction, and the ribbon does not seem to glow under blacklight. The maker's mark appears to be 50, but i can't seem to find any info on the maker. Any opinions as as to if it is genuine or not would be greatly appreciated as well if anyone has any info as to the the maker. thanks!!
    Attached Images Attached Images Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse for review  Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse for review  Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse for review 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse for review
    P
    Many

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    It would be a great help if you would post larger photos to aid us in assisting you. This allows members to enlarge them to view them better.
    The photos I post are usually in the 150-200 kb size. Our photo hosting capability will allow photos this size easily. I see that yours are in the 18-20 kb range.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

50 is Karl Gschiemeister Wien.looks ok.

Looks like a mm 56 to me, but better pictures is needed.

/Jonas

Thanks everyone for your replies. Here are some larger pics.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse for review   Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse for review  

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    50 is Karl Gschiemeister Wien.looks ok.
    This hersteller did not make the EK Harry. From the new pics it's most definitely a Souval cross, but the mm is not correct.....

Regards

Indeed a Souval as Nick says.

The numbers on o Souval should be 98 or L58 but not in the style of the above example

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

The stamp in my Souval for compare :-)

Mfg
    Marc

Indeed a Souval cross

Thanks everyone for all the great info!! The makers mark doesn't appear to be 98 it also is not within the rectangle indention like i have seen on most makers marks. Is this a bad sign? I will try to get better pics of the mark, though it has proven difficult to photograph. It looks like a 5 without the rounded bottom portion of the number fully complete and then a 0 that has been turned horizontally. Also I have been researching Souval made crosses since it was mentioned. I found a great thread "Wartime v Postwar Souval EK2." by forum member Adrian, showing Wartime vs Postwar examples of a Souval. And to me mine seems to have all 5 of the wartime characteristics. Would u guys agree with that? I hope Adrian will not mind me posting his example from the thread.

1. - Distinctive outer corners, known as 'birds foot' due to the resemblance to the three toes found on a birds foot!
    2. - Very rounded inner corners next to the swastika.
    3. - Thicker beading on the postwar example compared to the wartime cross
    4. - Die flaw on the top of the 12 o'clock arm linking three beads together
    5. - Wartime made Souvals didn't have the jump ring or suspension ring attached to the rear of the frame. They were attached on the front side only.

I have also read that the swastika being slightly lower in height than the frame is another sign of war time Souval, which mine has. Is this true? So what do u guys think war time or post war? Again thanks so much for all the help I'm learning a lot!! And thanks Adrian for the great thread!!