Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Eisernes Kreuz

Article about: Just wanted to post a few of the medals I already had before I joined here to see what people thought about authenticity. Any comments would be much appreciated. This is the Iron Cross II Cl

Question Eisernes Kreuz

Just wanted to post a few of the medals I already had before I joined here to see what people thought about authenticity. Any comments would be much appreciated. This is the Iron Cross II Class with a tiny "27" on the ring.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eisernes Kreuz   Eisernes Kreuz  

Eisernes Kreuz   Eisernes Kreuz  

Eisernes Kreuz   Eisernes Kreuz  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eisernes Kreuz
    P
    Many

Default Re: Eisernes Kreuz

Checks out ok Richard!

here is my Schenkl to compare

Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images Eisernes Kreuz  Eisernes Kreuz 
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

A good Anton Schenkl cross.

Regards

like the gentlemen said...

good example.

Nice cross indeed.

Thanks guys for that. The dealer I bought it from didn't even mention the maker mark on the ring, I only saw it once I was home looking at it a few days later. Is 27 a more common one or not? Also how much should you worry about if a medal might have a replacement ribbon? Does this really take any value away from the medal?

these 27 crosses are not particularly rare.

as to ribbons, there is no reliable way to tell really if a period ribbon has been replaced or not (with another period ribbon) and hence this would have zero effect on the value of the piece.

if you mean that an authentic ribbon has been replaced by a fake ribbon (i assume this would be what you are getting at), then this you'd be able to tell and you'd have a modest problem as it concerns value.

?

Nice original cross and ribbon. I'm guessing the red on the swastika where the paint is missing is rust?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Hi guys, yeah it's going a bit rusty around the swastika. It's amazing looking through my magnifying glass at the little details on some of these medals, just got a 40x-25mm illuminated mag.glass.

That's what I meant yeah, if the old ribbon has been lost for example and a modern copy has been attached to an original medal. Sort of presuming the main beauty is still the medal rather than the ribbon? Although both original would be brill.

?

Fake ribbons do exist but this one is original. Ribbons and medals do get swapped over time so there is no guarantee this pairing started life together but on the other hand there's no way to say they didn't.
    The main beauty is having an original medal and ribbon and if I ever had a fake ribbon come with an EK2 I would replace it with an original. The fakes always stand out like a sore thumb for me and there is no reason to keep one when EK2 ribbons are plentiful.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....