Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Eisernes Kreuz 2nd Klasse look at this!

Article about: Here is one picked up today. I have a few EK's ( every TR collector needs a couple ) but I don't focus on them. This one got my attention real quick and it would make a nice centerpiece for

Default Eisernes Kreuz 2nd Klasse look at this!

Here is one picked up today. I have a few EK's ( every TR collector needs a couple ) but I don't focus on them. This one got my attention real quick and it would make a nice centerpiece for an EK collection I believe. Anyone seen anything like this?

Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eisernes Kreuz 2nd Klasse look at this!   Eisernes Kreuz 2nd Klasse look at this!  

Eisernes Kreuz 2nd Klasse look at this!   Eisernes Kreuz 2nd Klasse look at this!  

Eisernes Kreuz 2nd Klasse look at this!   Eisernes Kreuz 2nd Klasse look at this!  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eisernes Kreuz 2nd Klasse look at this!
    P
    Many

Hello Steve,
    I suggest you check the seams closely and I suspect you may find that they have been re-soldered. Someone may have had it apart and accidently put the frame in upside down. Either that or it was a Monday job from the factory.
    I have a '27', Anton Schenkl, that the seams were soldered before I got it but they were out of alignment. I re-opened and straightened the frames out, then re-soldered.
    Here are a couple of before photos. You can see the excess solder.

Here are a couple of after photos. The frames have been re-soldered correctly and all of the excess solder removed. The small amount of patina that was lost should return before long.
    Ralph.

Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

[QUOTE=rbminis;1612215]Hello Steve,
    I suggest you check the seams closely and I suspect you may find that they have been re-soldered. Someone may have had it apart and accidently put the frame in upside down. Either that or it was a Monday job from the factory.

Very interesting Ralph. Thanks for the photos. I cant find any indication that it has been re-soldered but I am limited in my experience. I can picture some fellow coming in hungover,making a batch of upside down crosses, and ending up at the Russian front!!

Steve

I believe Emedals had one for sale about a year
    or so ago.........
    Regards,

Steve.

As an after thought Ralph that is quite an undertaking that you performed on your cross. One that I would not take a crack at as it would surely not end well for me.

Steve

Iron Crosses with upside down cores are rare, but some do exist. Mario Alt features a Paulman & Crone with an upside down core in his book about Iron Crosses. This one, in my collection, still has some of the original finish covering the seam, making it unlikely it was altered after the fact. It is odd that Iron Cross cores would accidentally be made this way as Iron Crosses were typically hand made, but who knows, were they made in the dark, during a blackout, or as a novelty item? As for the Iron Cross at the top of this thread, if the seam has not been altered, then this may be a very uncommon, collectable piece.

Eisernes Kreuz 2nd Klasse look at this!Eisernes Kreuz 2nd Klasse look at this!Eisernes Kreuz 2nd Klasse look at this!