Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Eisernes Kreuz ID; Which Class?

Article about: You of course have a Eisernes Kreuz - II. Klasse (Iron Cross, 2nd Class) - the other two are in sequence: Kriegsverdienstkreuz mit Schwertern - II. Klasse (War Merit Cross with Swords, 2nd C

Default Re: Iron Cross ID; Which Class?

Hello Steve and welcome to the forum!
    Congratulations on the start of your collection.
    I agree with all that has been said by other members. I would leave your EK just the way it is, (except maybe a little dusting). I started with two medals that were awarded to my father, an EK II and a Panzerkampf Abzeichen. As others have said, if you now find yourself desiring more, there is no cure.

P.S. I now have a "few"
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eisernes Kreuz ID; Which Class?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Eisernes Kreuz ID; Which Class?

Rod: My father was in the Transportation Corps/Railroad Battalion during WWII...He started in North Africa and worked his way up through Italy and into Germany at the end...He didn't talk too much about the war, as he had a number of horrific experiences...Had several locomotives strafed out from under him and went through a lot of air raids in rail yards...Anyway, toward the end of the war, he engineered a lot of POW trains taking German POWs back from the West into Germany...He traded for these three medals... It was Winter, and he would allow some of the POWs to ride up in the locomotive to get warm...He always said that he had sent several boxes of stuff back, but that they never arrived in the States...He carried these with him when he was shipped home... Along with these three, I have a set of Mutter Crosses (Gold, Silver, Bronze and the small cross) that he managed to bring back...I am still going through boxes of stuff, so I have hopes that there might be some additional things I haven't found yet...Although I doubt it...Thanks for your interest!

Steve

Default Re: Eisernes Kreuz ID; Which Class?

Thank you Steve !
    I like to hear how these soldiers came across these things . A lot of the veterans never spoke of there experiences. But its nice that you know a bit of history that goes with them.
    Most of the items we pick up, that piece of history has been lost which I personaly think is a pity.
    He must of picked up the mothers cross’s in Germany on his travels, I suppose back then they would have traded anything for a loaf of bread.
    Please post them sometime we like seeing mothers cross’s on here they were well made . And I hope you find many more items.
    All the best
    Rod

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3