Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Eisernes Kreuz Question [Pictures]

Article about: Howdy everybody, I've just started getting into WW2 memorabilia collecting and had a question in regards to an Iron Cross that I purchased while in Spain. The man I bought the cross from rec

?

Default Eisernes Kreuz Question [Pictures]

Howdy everybody,

I've just started getting into WW2 memorabilia collecting and had a question in regards to an Iron Cross that I purchased while in Spain.

The man I bought the cross from received the medal and was hesitant to part with it. He also had a few other German and Spanish medals, and identification paper; but alas I'm your typical penniless college student so I couldn't afford anything else. -.-

I defer to the communities expertise and excellence, and look forward to learning more about my purchase!

Thanks!
    D4551

Eisernes Kreuz Question [Pictures]Eisernes Kreuz Question [Pictures]Eisernes Kreuz Question [Pictures]Eisernes Kreuz Question [Pictures]
    Last edited by Adrian; 12-23-2012 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Title changed to use German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eisernes Kreuz Question [Pictures]
    P
    Many

Default Re: Iron Cross Question [Pictures]

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    Sorry to say, I believe this EK is a copy. The ribbon does not belong to an EK either. I hope I am wrong but, I do not believe so.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Thanks for the insight Ralph!

What I noticed upon further research was the difference in edges from the typical design, is that a telltale sign or were there some inconsistencies?

Hello,
    I have to second Ralph's comment and say its a reproduction imo.
    The ribbon is from a war merit cross.
    The swastika looks wrong on this iron cross. It looks from the picture 1 piece construction and almost all iron crosses are not formed like this.
    Look on the site at other iron crosses and you will notice the difference. If you can you should get your euros back and save up for an original.

Quote by d4551 View Post
    Thanks for the insight Ralph!

What I noticed upon further research was the difference in edges from the typical design, is that a telltale sign or were there some inconsistencies?
    Hello,
    The frame beading is one way to tell, although different makers can be determined by the tell tale differences in the frames. Also, the suspension ring mount appears to be cast in place.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

A thrifty purchse that didn't pan out, even though the cross is a reproduction, this sparked my collecting!

Crazy to think that reproductions are present even in small community sales, but at E10 I'm not going to say a terrible loss.

Quote by d4551 View Post
    A thrifty purchse that didn't pan out, even though the cross is a reproduction, this sparked my collecting!

Crazy to think that reproductions are present even in small community sales, but at E10 I'm not going to say a terrible loss.
    Hello,
    I can only suggest that you post prospective purchases here for forum members to help you until you aquire the knowledge yourself to tell the difference.
    Ralph.

?

yes, fake cross and ribbon, also are your hands massive or is it just the angle? lol

?

Quote by rory View Post
    yes, fake cross and ribbon, also are your hands massive or is it just the angle? lol
    My hands are pretty big, I have a 5" cell phone which fits comfortably in my hand :P

?

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I can't add much except to confirm your cross is fake and the ribbon (which is for a Kriegsverdienstkreuz) is also fake.

An EK priced at €10 will not be original so if you see a deal which is too good to be true, it probably is!

I'm glad it kick started your collecting interest so please browse the forum and ask plenty of questions!

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast