Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Eisernes Kreuz and spange.

Article about: Hi everyone, Up for display is my Eisernes Kreuz and spange. I do not know how to tell if it is first or second class, nor do I know the differences. The Eisernes Kreuz is in it's original b

Default Eisernes Kreuz and spange.

Hi everyone,
    Up for display is my Eisernes Kreuz and spange. I do not know how to tell if it is first or second class, nor do I know the differences. The Eisernes Kreuz is in it's original box and I believe the spange came from the same person. It is a bit salty from age and the elements but I like the fact it is still in it's original box If anyone would like to explain the differences in the Eisernes Kreuz, I would be very appreciative!
    Thaddeus

Eisernes Kreuz and spange.Eisernes Kreuz and spange.Eisernes Kreuz and spange.Eisernes Kreuz and spange.Eisernes Kreuz and spange.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eisernes Kreuz and spange.
    P
    Many

I tell them apart by looking at the wingspan...the EKII Spange (shown) has a smaller wingspan than the Spange for the EKI...
    cheers, Glenn

That looks like a good Deumer EK2 spange, however the case does not match the EK1.
    The case is an original mid to late WW1 type and the WW2 Souval EK1 is slightly too large to fit it.

Regards - Danny

Quote by Danny70 View Post
    That looks like a good Deumer EK2 spange, however the case does not match the EK1.
    The case is an original mid to late WW1 type and the WW2 Souval EK1 is slightly too large to fit it.

Regards - Danny
    glenn- thanks for the information!!!
    Danny-So the medal is a EK1? I have another Iron Cross that is dated from WW1. It is also in a box but the box is almost completely destroyed. I wonder if at some point the previous owner switched their boxes? I will post pictures on a different thread!

Thaddeus

Danny is spot on...this is indeed a WWI-era case for the EKI...
    cheers, Glenn

?

Quote by Thaddeus View Post
    I do not know how to tell if it is first or second class, nor do I know the differences.
    As Glenn says, the wingspan of the EK1 Spange is wider and the reverse has a pin, hinge and catch as per a badge for affixing to the tunic. This second class has pins that are used to attach the Spange to a length of WW1 EK2 ribbon.

There are many examples of each here for comparison.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

So the actual award itself is an EK1?

As stated, you have here a WWII EKI in a WWI EKI case...
    cheers, Glenn

Thanks Glenn!
    Thaddeus