Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

EK1 double stamped L/52 20

Article about: Great makers marks! A wonderful conversation piece!

Default EK1 double stamped L/52 20

Just received this nice double marked CF Zimmermann, hope you like her guys

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture EK1 double stamped L/52 20   EK1 double stamped L/52 20  

EK1 double stamped L/52 20   EK1 double stamped L/52 20  

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement EK1 double stamped L/52 20
    P
    Many

Default Re: EK1 double stamped L/52 20

hoping here for a better shot of the maker marks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture EK1 double stamped L/52 20  
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Great cross Nick! I think the double marked examples are much more collectable.

Can you explain why the two stamps? Is one for Zimmermann and the L/52 for Gottlieb & Wagner? Is it a transitional type of cross? Sorry for the bone questions, but I'd really like to know!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi Ned

L/52 is Zimmermanns LDO number and 20 is their PKZ number. For some reason this manufacture double stamped many of their EK1s! For what reason I dont know, maybe one of the more knowledgable members know the answer!

Here is an excellent explaination from Adrian on LDO and PKZ

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/order...ood-buy-81231/

Nick

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Great cross Nick! I think the double marked examples are much more collectable.
    Thanks Adrian, yes I am sure they are, however I think it is not uncommon to find a Zimmermann cross with a double stamp. Other makers would be extremely desirable I think !!

Nick

?

I have no idea why this maker seemed to double mark their crosses with such regularity. You could understand the odd few but it was apparently common practice for Zimmermann.
    Perhaps they just wanted to cover all bases so marked with both numbers?
    Any other ideas?

Does anyone know of another maker that did this? Could it be that they were double stamped simply to cover both awarded medals and private purchase ones, therefore saving the trouble of carrying both singularly stamped types at any one time, and the possibility of one or the other being in short supply at times?

Regards, Ned.

Edit:- You beat me to it Ade!!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Maybe they were showing off!!!!
    Jay

?

Or possibly they had a shortfall on PKZ marked crosses and then had to re-stamp LDO marked stock with the PKZ number before they left the factory to adhere to the rules?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast