Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Ek1 ss inscribed(l16)??

Article about: Don't bother thinking you can restore it back to how it should be. It's as it is and any attempt to grind the inscription out will result in a worse mess than it is now.

?

Default Re: Ek1 ss inscribed(l16)??

A pity that somebody found the itch in their pocket to be stronger than either their conscience, or the need to preserve a fine historical artifact.

Regards,

Carl

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ek1 ss inscribed(l16)??
    P
    Many

?

Some historical clarification whilst a Panzer Gen Div Totenkopf did have a 3 numbered Gren Regt , so there was in fact 2 SS Regt numbered 3 , one that had come from the Totenkopf Verband and the other Deutschland which had come via the SS VT !!

When Totenkopf became a Panzer Div in October 1943 the number of the Regiment changed from 3 to 6 and it was given the Honour Title "Theodor Eicke ". So if the inscription had been July 1943 it would have been more believable.

Hope that is clear and not as clear as mud !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Adrian View Post
    The cross itself looks fine but IMO the inscription is a complete fabrication.

The style and font is just not period. As previously mentioned it just doesn't fit, I have never seen an original inscription in 'arial' before, look at any other original writings on the back of an award and it will either the the original owner scratching their initials into it or it will have a more 'fancy' style like Sütterlin as mentioned by TrondK.

A good cross ruined by some enterprising soul who wanted to make it sexy and more valuable and who has in fact taken value away from it.
    Agreed!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Karl G
    ?

Hello, new here but just wanted to say hello. Long time cross collector. Always a shame to see a good cross ruined with fake engraving.

?

Hi Karl,
    Welcome to the forum - any questions just shout!

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Karl G
    ?

Thanks Adrian, once I've found my feet I'll be making some posts.

Quote by Adrian View Post
    The cross itself looks fine but IMO the inscription is a complete fabrication.

The style and font is just not period. As previously mentioned it just doesn't fit, I have never seen an original inscription in 'arial' before, look at any other original writings on the back of an award and it will either the the original owner scratching their initials into it or it will have a more 'fancy' style like Sütterlin as mentioned by TrondK.

A good cross ruined by some enterprising soul who wanted to make it sexy and more valuable and who has in fact taken value away from it.
    The only SS inscribed EK I have seen and liked looked to have been done by hand by the owner, as you mentioned Adrian, though sadly it was already sold when I saw it and was still in the sellers shop waiting for a final payment. It was priced as a plain EKI with nothing added for the inscription, and when I am talking about an EKI was £100-120.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Karl G View Post
    Thanks Adrian, once I've found my feet I'll be making some posts.
    Hi Karl and a big welcome from me too! Looking forward to seeing your items

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

I must admit that even though this sounds like makeing matters worse i'm inclined to get a jeweller to grind the crap off the back and have a decent plain altered cross in this nice case!!What are your thought's chaps? Am i just mad,crazy or just want to see a straight forward peice of history that's not been embellished.

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    I must admit that even though this sounds like makeing matters worse i'm inclined to get a jeweller to grind the crap off the back and have a decent plain altered cross in this nice case!!What are your thought's chaps? Am i just mad,crazy or just want to see a straight forward peice of history that's not been embellished.
    Not a good idea in my opinion, and why bother? it will still be an altered cross at the end of the day, but maybe a slightly uglier one as a result.
    Nothing can be done to remove the already inflicted damage, please do not add to it.

Regards - Danny

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast