Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

EK2-seller lists no maker mark. Is it a good one?

Article about: Hi, guys. Was thinking of purchasing this EK2. The seller doesn't list any kind of marking. He has some other EK2s marked with "4" for about \\$45 dollars more. Should I just get tho

Default EK2-seller lists no maker mark. Is it a good one?

Hi, guys. Was thinking of purchasing this EK2. The seller doesn't list any kind of marking. He has some other EK2s marked with "4" for about $45 dollars more. Should I just get those instead? Below is the one that isn't marked.

Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture EK2-seller lists no maker mark. Is it a good one?   EK2-seller lists no maker mark. Is it a good one?  

Attached Images Attached Images EK2-seller lists no maker mark. Is it a good one? 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement EK2-seller lists no maker mark. Is it a good one?
    P
    Many

Default Re: EK2-seller lists no maker mark. Is it a good one?

That looks like a nice example. Up to you if you feel $45 more is worth spending on a maker marked example? Personally I would not spend the extra if you only want a good representative example of this award.

Cheers, Ade.

Ade is correct. I have just picked up my first unmarked EK2 and as it is framed with a EK2 document so it doesnt matter. If you want to collect EK2's then you will eventually want different makers & look into it further.

Good luck

?

No problems with this one, an original example. It looks like an S&L - '4' framed cross anyway so if you could get a marked cross from the same maker as this one I would say go for it!

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

I agree with the above comments.... But, maybe it's just the pictures, but this cross looks like it may have had a repair to the jump ring on the obverse. It looks like there is some kind of distortion to the bead step in that area and there appears to be a 'glob' of solder.

For this reason, unless the cross is at a great price, I would pass.
    (Having said that, I have purchased many beat-up and/or damaged crosses over the past few years!!) Still, I would advise holding off until a better example comes along.

Regards - Danny

Thanks for the comments, guys. Unfortunately, the dealer told me it sold before I could grab it. Yes, the price was VERY good. It's not surprising... Oh, well. Will keep looking and will of course seek the wise counsel of you all.

Bad luck locloc!

There are plenty more out there!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Alright guys, similar deal... What do you all think of this one?

Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture EK2-seller lists no maker mark. Is it a good one?   EK2-seller lists no maker mark. Is it a good one?  

EK2-seller lists no maker mark. Is it a good one?  

It's a Souval cross ('98' or L/58). Note the very distinctive cornices and rounded inner corners of the beading. The jump ring should only be soldered on one side.

Do you have any straight-on photographs of the obverse?

Souval continued making EK's after the war for the souvenir market using original dies. It is hard to tell for sure in this picture if the '3' in the 1939 date is dipping below the line of the other digits, this was a feature found on wartime Souval EK1's but not EK2's (only postwar versions).

Personally, I think Souval crosses are ugly and I avoid them while other collectors love them, but that's just my biased opinion!

If I were you, I would ask the seller for some straight on pictures to check for the dipping 3 before I would invest in this one.

Regards - Danny