Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

EKs Real or fake?

Article about: by Adrian The cores do move about within the frames to varying degrees and can make the dates look too high or too low. I personally don't tend to look for this as it can be deceptive depend

KSH
    ?

Default Re: EKs Real or fake?

Quote by Adrian View Post
    The cores do move about within the frames to varying degrees and can make the dates look too high or too low. I personally don't tend to look for this as it can be deceptive depending on the angle of the photograph, lighting and if the core happens to be particularly loose on a certain cross.
    I based my thought on it being a '24' upon the wide looking frame, the frame details and the shape of the numbers in the dates. Hopefully if Mike can get some closer shots it will be easier to tell.
    Wise considerations my friend. The perspective matters a lot. You might be correct here Sir. By the way, could I have your thoughts on the "fat date" on the reverse of my 24 posted above, Adrian?

- Kenneth

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement EKs Real or fake?
    P
    Many

?

Well, I've had a few fat dates in my time Kenneth but that's a whole other story........

Anyways, regarding your cross, nothing to worry about, maybe just a thicker application of paint on the core as you suggest. I've just had a look at my '24's and all of them have the matt finish, not the glossy paint such as yours has. I've never noticed that before. I also noticed on two of them, the shape of the numerals is exactly the same showing they come from the same die, yet the depth of the strike is different. One cross has very shallow dates, another has very proud dates.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

KSH
    ?

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Well, I've had a few fat dates in my time Kenneth but that's a whole other story........

Anyways, regarding your cross, nothing to worry about, maybe just a thicker application of paint on the core as you suggest. I've just had a look at my '24's and all of them have the matt finish, not the glossy paint such as yours has. I've never noticed that before. I also noticed on two of them, the shape of the numerals is exactly the same showing they come from the same die, yet the depth of the strike is different. One cross has very shallow dates, another has very proud dates.
    Hopefully this is the only "fat date" I'll ever have It's the only cross I have with this kind of glossy paint. It looks kind of good in a different way. Thanks for your answer. It will be interesting to see some better pics of the crosses in question

- Kenneth

?

Here are some more shots. The first one is without the ribbon. I took closer shots of this one because some thought this one was questionable. It does look like dates on the one with the ribbon stick out more.

I am still new at this so thanks for the inputs.

EKs Real or fake?

EKs Real or fake?

EKs Real or fake?

EKs Real or fake?

EKs Real or fake?

EKs Real or fake?

Here is the one with the ribbon

EKs Real or fake?

EKs Real or fake?

EKs Real or fake?

Here they are side by side

EKs Real or fake?

EKs Real or fake?

?

Thanks for the extra pics Mike.
    Ok, to backtrack on my initial thoughts, both crosses are original. The first is an Otto Schickle (unmarked L/15) and the second is a '24' - Arbeitsgemeinschaft der Hanauer Plaket-ten-hersteller.
    If you can only buy one, get the Schickle.

?

Adrian,

Thanks. I have some books about these but is there anything out there that would help me identify crosses that do not have marks? Or, is this just something you have learned over the years?

Thanks
    Mike

?

Experience is always the best way Mike. Keep looking at the forum and asking questions. At the moment there isn't a specific publication that can tell you what to look for in each maker although there is an EK2 book in the offing sometime this year. I've been working on a rough guide to identifying EK2s for a while, I just need to get some better pics before I can get it on the forum.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2