Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Field converted Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse to 1. Klasse

Article about: I recently picked up a, what is believed a Field made/ converted Iron Cross 2nd Class to an Iron Cross First Class. I have read about these, but have never seen one. I have read that these w

?

Default Field converted Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse to 1. Klasse

I recently picked up a, what is believed a Field made/ converted Iron Cross 2nd Class to an Iron Cross First Class. I have read about these, but have never seen one. I have read that these were made when remote, hard to reach units could not get supplies and earned awards or shipments lost or destroyed . This one seems to have a horizontal field made pin. Any thoughts on this Iron Cross and thoughts as to a horizontal pin / clasp?

Field converted Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse to 1. KlasseField converted Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse to 1. KlasseField converted Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse to 1. KlasseField converted Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse to 1. KlasseField converted Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse to 1. KlasseField converted Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse to 1. KlasseField converted Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse to 1. Klasse
    Last edited by rbminis; 10-02-2016 at 09:59 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Field converted Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse to 1. Klasse
    P
    Many

Very interesting. Never heard of this myself. Thanks for showing. Bob

?

Thanks. I also thought it was interesting. Since most tunics have loops on the pockets, any thoughts as to where an EK 1 with horizontal pin, would be displayed on the uniform? I was thinking it may be displayed in the same place, on the pocket if there wasn't any loops available. Or This EK2 may just be a temporary until another EK1 is formally presented??

I'd say it was just pinned to the uniform in the same area. I have also heard of field made Knights Crosses made from EKs as well. If it checks out with the guys, it's a neat piece!

?

Yeah. I thought so too. Thanks!

It is known that EK2s were often field-converted to be worn as EK1s and RKs; not just if the higher grades were unavailable for presentation to a new awardee, but also (and probably more often so) by the holders themselves to temporarily replace lost or damaged EK1s/RKs or even for everyday field wear so as to preserve the actual decoration for best wear.

This makes sense:

Since it was produced and awarded in far greater numbers than the EK1 and especially the RK, the EK2 was more readily available everywhere.

Also, every holder of the EK1 and the RK had been awarded the EK2 as well and thus had access to one, especially since he didn't really need it for the time being:

Although full-size medal bars were still made and worn after the outbreak of the war, they were officially discontinued for the duration. So, after the day of the award, only the ribbon of the EK2 was to be worn (either on a ribbon bar or in the buttonhole) and the full-sized cross could be kept in a drawer... or put to another use.

Nice pick up. It looks all period done to me.

Steve

?

Thanks for the input. It's always nice to get a little background from knowledgeable members.

Hi, looks like a period adaptation to me, the pin is of the period type on tinnies and the retaining strip is not "coffin" shaped like many fakes are, so I vote for a good original! Leon.

That's a cool piece! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast