Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Goering's Großkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes.

Article about: I was watching an episode of World at War last night and there were some films of Goering ,Hitler and other top brass showing them making plans to invade England (lol). I noticed that all of

Default Goering's Großkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes.

I was watching an episode of World at War last night and there were some films of Goering ,Hitler and other top brass showing them making plans to invade England (lol). I noticed that all of the men in the meeting had a Iron cross award around their neck except Hitler,I know that Hitler was awarded the Cross in the first World War,is it not ok to ware the award and the other thing why was Goering"s medal so large? It was almost twice the size of all the others,almost looked like a crucifix.Any history about this.
    Last edited by Adrian; 01-04-2012 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Title changed to use German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Goering's Großkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes.
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Goering"s huge Iron Cross

Quote by operaman View Post
    I was watching an episode of World at War last night and there were some films of Goering ,Hitler and other top brass showing them making plans to invade England (lol). I noticed that all of the men in the meeting had a Iron cross award around their neck except Hitler,I know that Hitler was awarded the Cross in the first World War,is it not ok to ware the award and the other thing why was Goering"s medal so large? It was almost twice the size of all the others,almost looked like a crucifix.Any history about this.
    Hitler didn't award himself an Eisernes Kreuz and definitely not a Ritterkreuz, he did wear his WW1 EK1 though. The Generals and top brass you saw in the film were most likely those who had been awarded the Ritterkreuz from Hitler. Goering won the Ritterkreuz and also was the only recipient of the Grand Cross - twice the size of the Ritterkreuz. He wore the two together and also with his Pour Le Merite he won during WW1.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Google says-http://acepilots.com/medals/grand-cross-iron.html
    Also I think Hitler was awarded the Iron Cross 1st class. Worn on the left side. The other medals might be knights crosses.

(Sorry if the links arent allowed)

nathan

Haha, what Adrian said, thats what I get for being slow!

Thanks Adrian.intresting.Goering would have something called The Grand Iron Cross.

Quote by operaman View Post
    Thanks Adrian.intresting.Goering would have something called The Grand Iron Cross.
    In English, the award is The Grand Cross of the Iron Cross. Goring was the only recipient. When I was a teenager, I had the opportunity to see and handle an original example of this award that a U.S. serviceman sold to a collectors store in Chicago. The man had a treasure trove of high awards including a 1944 wound badge in silver and a cased set of three German Orders.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Very Cool.Thanks.By the way what is your birthday? I notice we are the same age I was born 11-10-44

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Goring was the only recipient.
    only because he awarded it to himself

?

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    In English, the award is The Grand Cross of the Iron Cross. Goring was the only recipient. When I was a teenager, I had the opportunity to see and handle an original example of this award that a U.S. serviceman sold to a collectors store in Chicago. The man had a treasure trove of high awards including a 1944 wound badge in silver and a cased set of three German Orders.
    Those were the days Bob! I wish I was around during them.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Those were the days Bob! I wish I was around during them.
    If you were Adrian, think how old you would be!!! This was likely the finest vet bring back of rare decorations I know of. The German Order set is now in the Wolfe-Hardin collection. There were cased Ritterkreuz, Deutsche Kreuz with diamonds and numerous Kreigsmarine badges with diamonds. There were also two large display cases of long service awards. One for the military and one for the political and civilian models. This occured in the Winter of 1961. This is what I can recall after all of these years. I believe there was more that I no longer can recall.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast