Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Ground off marking

Article about: Do you guys encounter this often? On my Iron Cross 2nd Class, the marking on the ring almost looks to be ground off.

?

Default Ground off marking

Do you guys encounter this often? On my Iron Cross 2nd Class, the marking on the ring almost looks to be ground off.

Ground off marking

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ground off marking
    P
    Many

Default Re: Ground off marking

More pictures of the iron cross itself may help determine why this is.

?

This is the only one I have on hand now, I'll go take more right now.

Ground off marking

Lately there been a discussion of the L/12 or 13? that the marking should be on the cross itself, not the ring. Could this be an example of a dealer trying to hide this? I know nothing about the iron cross just FYI, don't even have one.

?

I bought it from an estate, not a dealer

Ground off markingGround off markingGround off markingGround off markingGround off markingGround off markingGround off markingGround off markingGround off marking

The estate could have bought it from a dealer though... Like I said I know nothing about iron crosses, don't collect these. However, there are many others here who have great knowledge on these. I'd wait for them. The new picture should help them as well, thanks.

?

Quote by youthcollector1 View Post
    The estate could have bought it from a dealer though... Like I said I know nothing about iron crosses, don't collect these. However, there are many others here who have great knowledge on these. I'd wait for them. The new picture should help them as well, thanks.
    Good thought, i didn't think of that

?

The cross is an original '123' - Beck, Hassinger & Co.

This one is marked as such but very poorly. There is no suggestion of the mark being ground off as there are no file marks. It might take some squinting through eyelashes to read the number as '123' but that's what it is.
    You will also note the frame has some double stamping lines on the beading, a poor quality cross all over but a good one.

Try a search for this maker and look at the makers mark on the other examples posted.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Quote by Adrian View Post
    The cross is an original '123' - Beck, Hassinger & Co.

This one is marked as such but very poorly. There is no suggestion of the mark being ground off as there are no file marks. It might take some squinting through eyelashes to read the number as '123' but that's what it is.
    You will also note the frame has some double stamping lines on the beading, a poor quality cross all over but a good one.

Try a search for this maker and look at the makers mark on the other examples posted.
    Ok, thanks.