Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Iron Cross Second Class

Article about: For \\$135, does this look like a good deal to you. And in your opinion does it look authentic to you. I ask because I'm a beginning collector and we all had to start somewhere.

Default Re: Iron Cross Second Class

Hi Navyman, I am really sorry, but it is a copy as I suspected. The size and shape is actually wrong never mind the poor detail.

Compare to this original.

There are actually some different shaped EKII's, but I don't want to confuse you with too many variations to start with.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Iron Cross Second Class   Iron Cross Second Class  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Iron Cross Second Class
    P
    Many

Ade,
    Thanks very much for putting me right on this one, another lesson learned ! I will adjust my collection notes accordingly and get the files out to check other items (and medal)s I've purchased there. I'm not averse to having replicas in my collection providing I can file them as such. This way I can display the item, labled as a copy, and hopefully replace it with an original when, (limited), funds are available.
    I'm really very grateful for your advice and assistance.
    Best Regards,
    navyman.

No problem and my pleasure to try and help.

I don't mind anyone selling a copy, provided it is sold clearly and openly as such.

We have all been in the same situation as you when we first started collecting. It is always a harsh learning curve when you display early purchases for the first time.

Cheers, Ade.

millertime021
    ?

Quote by rickyodicky View Post
    Sorry about suggesting that site. Even 20 bucks can be alot if you're saving for something special. The Collector's Guild at The Collector's Guild can be useful for both reference and purchase, although prices are on the high end.
    Congratulations on your forthcoming graduation. Future history major? Stick with what you love. rick
    No problem. In the future (few years), I may use that site. It look really good, and I was really disappointed that I had to pay to give them my money. I'll check out that other site you mentioned.

Also, right now my plans are to be an Aerospace Engineer. I've had that dream since 5th grade, but as I approach my college outlook, I'm still not 100% yet. But I will probably minor is History, or at least do what my uncle did. Take every history class the local community college offered just for the love of it.
    oh and Thank you.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    No problem and my pleasure to try and help.

I don't mind anyone selling a copy, provided it is sold clearly and openly as such.

We have all been in the same situation as you when we first started collecting. It is always a harsh learning curve when you display early purchases for the first time.

Cheers, Ade.
    Hello again Ade,
    I've a suspicion that you will probably put me right about this War Merit Cross bought for £15.00 I also have an German army Eastern Front winter medal, bought for £12.00, and a selection of other medals, badges, and insignia. Apolgies for poor picture quality.
    All advice welcome.
    Many thanks,
    navyman.
    Attached Images Attached Images Iron Cross Second Class  Iron Cross Second Class 

Hi there,sorry but your KVK2 w/s doesn't look too clever from the pics. Stewy S

Quote by Stewy S View Post
    Hi there,sorry but your KVK2 w/s doesn't look too clever from the pics. Stewy S
    Stewy,

I have a feeling that I may have quite a few copies. This is the Eastern Front Winter Medal. (£12. 00!).
    This also has no makers mark. Do all genuine medals have some form of mark, is this a way of identifying replicas?
    I also have some metal insignia's which do have makers marks. Any info about this most welcome.
    I'm new to medals, usually collect and shoot Rifles and pistols, but started buying these as they seemed cheap and I assumed this was because they were mass produced and there were plenty left over after the war. How naive can I get, 59 years old, ex serviceman, and still getting conned !
    Thanks to all,
    navyman.
    Attached Images Attached Images Iron Cross Second Class  Iron Cross Second Class 

Hi there,no not all medals have makers marks. Fakers add m/marks to awards too. Your Ost medal doesn't look too promising either. Very hard to tell from the pics,but don't hold your breath. Sorry. Stewy S

Quote by Stewy S View Post
    Hi there,no not all medals have makers marks. Fakers add m/marks to awards too. Your Ost medal doesn't look too promising either. Very hard to tell from the pics,but don't hold your breath. Sorry. Stewy S
    Thanks Stewy,
    Will have a very close look at all from that source and when my camera has been repaired will make a new set of pictures.
    Can you recommend a guide book that may help me understand some more about medals?
    Best regards,
    navyman.

To be honest there's not really a concise book that covers enough of each award to allow a new collector to differentiate good,bad,maker etc. Once you find which award(s) you're into. Then there's good reference books available. Stewy S

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast