Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Looks like I've been "Floched" on my EK1

Article about: I paid about 65 bucks 12 years ago (ebay), and really thought it was ok. Overall the material and workmanship seemed ok, three parts, magnetic center. All the stuff in the books I bought (ba

?

Default Looks like I've been "Floched" on my EK1

I paid about 65 bucks 12 years ago (ebay), and really thought it was ok. Overall the material and workmanship seemed ok, three parts, magnetic center. All the stuff in the books I bought (back then, which only seemed to show obvious fakes) checked out.

Then I joined here and started re-researching my collection. I think I can add my EK1 to the list of bad, but would appreciate some confirmation. Also posting some (hopefully) useful pics to help others avoid. My first clue was from here:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/order...pro-ek1-11090/

Mine is unmarked, and it all seems to come down to that darn notch on the "B" style pin. Also, seems there is some crossing over of the hatching in the corners, and the date/emblem are a little below the beading. I swear though, if the pin had been removed before I acquired I would still feel good about this item...

I don't have a lot of first hand experience with this stuff, but thought I did due diligence. It does seem I was burned by one of the better ones. I wish sites like this were around back in the day. Still, I'd like to ring this Floch character's neck, and find its hard to believe there is profit in making such a high-quality fake. I mean, some of the ultra crappy repros are half what I paid.
    Anyway, onto the pics. I drew boxes around the problem area on the pin.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Looks like I've been "Floched" on my EK1   Looks like I've been "Floched" on my EK1  

Looks like I've been "Floched" on my EK1   Looks like I've been "Floched" on my EK1  

Looks like I've been "Floched" on my EK1   Looks like I've been "Floched" on my EK1  

Looks like I've been "Floched" on my EK1  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Looks like I've been "Floched" on my EK1
    P
    Many

Default Re: Looks like I've been "Floched" on my EK1

You are sadly correct. I have no time for this man and a lot of people would like a few minutes alone with him

Cheers, Ade.

No doubt about it at all.... 100% Floch.
    Sorry.
    Aswell as the pin details, note the '3' in the 1939 date... it has a wide sweeping lower curve - this is a feature found on many Floch crosses.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    You are sadly correct. I have no time for this man and a lot of people would like a few minutes alone with him

Cheers, Ade.
    When Johannes first appeared on the collecting scene in the late 60's, he had nothing but original material. I obtained some very nice items from him at that time. He is always at the Max and the SOS. I have no idea when he began dealing in the 4th Reich material for which he is known today.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

What a nightmare!

There are some good articles on how to spot Flochs on some Forums!
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Thanks for the confirmation, though I wish it were other....

I'm up for some homework, and can dig a challenge, but things like this take me out of this hobby. You really need eagle eyes and a photographic memory to run with the big dogs in this sport. I had no idea there was a big market in museum quality EK repros, and felt I had the bases covered.

Live and learn, as they say.

PS> I did find a very nice pdf on spotting floch fakes, at another site that requires you to join. I was doing ok (I thought) up until the pins....

PS> I did find a very nice pdf on spotting floch fakes, at another site that requires you to join. I was doing ok (I thought) up until the pins....[/QUOTE]

hi is there any chance you could give us a link to that pdf file please?

regards ewan

?

Quote by Ewan Stirling View Post
    PS> I did find a very nice pdf on spotting floch fakes, at another site that requires you to join. I was doing ok (I thought) up until the pins....
    hi is there any chance you could give us a link to that pdf file please?

regards ewan[/QUOTE]

Of course. Was not sure if this was allowed as I have seen most refer to "other sites", as if posting to another site was verboten.

Floch Article: EK - KVK - Clasp - Page 8 - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Is the last page, as it seems to read back-wards. There was some indication you had to sponsor to view, but I registered and was able to see the pages. Good stuff I think.

Cheers

Jan
    ?

To me this really proves the necessity of really good pictures to even start a serios discussion about the originality of items for sale.

Rgds Jan

The proliferation of the Floch and other high end reproductions has created more discriminating and knowledgeable collectors.