Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My 2nd EK2

Article about: OK, a few weeks ago after much searching I bought my first EK2, a minty MM'd S & L (see below) I've posted her before but she is just such a beauty I couldn't help parading her around ag

Default My 2nd EK2

OK, a few weeks ago after much searching I bought my first EK2, a minty MM'd S & L (see below)

I've posted her before but she is just such a beauty I couldn't help parading her around again

My 2nd EK2

Now to contrast the fresh EK I wanted to add to my Stalingrad items and recently this ground dug EK2 came up for auction and I was able to pick her up for the princely sum of $51. Now bear in mind that she's not so pretty and has seen better days

In fact she's probably what you might describe as the next best thing to totally knackered and barely worth displaying at all but I want to display the two EK's together as an ode to the folly and destruction of war.

Here she is...

My 2nd EK2

Told you she was a bit rough hey?

But when she arrived in the post yesterday and I cleaned some of the dirt and bits of loose rust away what little secret should I find?

My 2nd EK2

I couldn't believe it! I felt like Indiana Jones uncovering a secret treasure! My horrid little EK2 is a J.E. Hammer & Sons '55'!

From Geringswalde to Stalingrad to my post box in the UK to my current address in Qatar to one day returning with me to Australia this little EK has and will see more of the world than anyone could have imagined when she was minted back in '41/'42...

and I think thats cool

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My 2nd EK2
    P
    Many

Default Re: My 2nd EK2

I love them both Glenn ! The S&L is a beautiful, young looking temptress and the JEH is a 'been there, but still have what it takes' foxy lady

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Thanks for the kind words Nick! Now the question is, What next?

I'm thinking EK1, both a mint and a salty version?

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Thanks for the kind words Nick! Now the question is, What next?

I'm thinking EK1, both a mint and a salty version?
    Go for an EK1, they are awesome awards !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Well the EK1 has landed and is a beauty! Cased and minty and good enough to satisfy my craving for shiny metal.

An L55 Wachtler & Lang...

My 2nd EK2My 2nd EK2

Now only today my Stalingrad relic EK1 also arrived and she is just as crusty and trusty as I like to see in my relics.The core is almost non existent and this old lady has certainly seen better days.

My 2nd EK2

But this old girl had a surprise in store for me!

Once out of the bubble wrap and under some magnified observation while I tried to figure out which way was 'up' I noticed this....

My 2nd EK2

Now i don't think i've got this wrong and it is a little easier to see under a magnifying glass (until I get a macro lens for the DSLR) but i'm sure I can see the scrunched 4th rib that is typical of a Wachtler & Lang! If it wasn't for the famous rib defect of this maker i'd have no idea who made this EK as the needle is long gone and the date and swastika are now mere grains of rust in some Stalingrad field.

Needless to say i'm pretty excited to have two examples of W&L EK1's, albeit at either end of the shiny scale.

What do you think guys? Are my eyes deceiving me?

Cheers
    Glenn

First of all Glenn, congrats on that beautiful cased cross she is awesome

As for the salty old girl you picked up, you could be right saying she is a W&L. My my, she has been around a bit!

Nick

?

Hi Glen, I really like all of them and I think they are all great examples to display..old and new! Rough or not, I would love to have a ground dug stalingrad EK!

Cheers, Edwin

?

Good eye Glenn! I think you might well be right! Can you post a close up pic of the inner corners of both crosses?

Compare the arrowed feature below as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images My 2nd EK2 

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Great crosses.. I really like the mint and the relic side by side.

Now you need some cased examples also to really finish the display.
    Here are some of my sets.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My 2nd EK2  
    Attached Images Attached Images My 2nd EK2 

You are a bad man Sonni!
    Fortunately I mount all my badges in frames for the wall so I have no need for cases and cardboard boxes (which is good news for my wallet)

For Adrian i have the following images. I think the level of decay is such that any further identifying features are gone.

My 2nd EK2

My 2nd EK2

My 2nd EK2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast