Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My EK2

Article about: Ok, I'll venture my newest thoughts. The core I believe is by Souval. The frame is possibly an S&L, not 100% sure on that though. The mark on the ring I believe is L/58 - compare to a si

?

Default Re: My EK2

Ok, I'll venture my newest thoughts.

The core I believe is by Souval. The frame is possibly an S&L, not 100% sure on that though. The mark on the ring I believe is L/58 - compare to a similar mark on a known Souval cross below.

Here is the problem. The obverse core has a 'dipping 3' in the date as can be seen below. (The '3' in the date dips lower on it's bottom edge that the other digits in the date.)
    So far, no pre May '45 EK2s are known with this feature by Souval, only their EK1s.
    So, my thoughts are that this is a post war assembled EK2 by Souval but using frames from another maker. It has none of the recognisable features associated with wartime manufactured EK2s by Souval although it does have features found on crosses by this maker. The frame is the odd one out, it is not a Souval frame.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My EK2   My EK2  

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My EK2
    P
    Many

Hi, thanks for taking time helping me.

Actually i think that it is the pic who making it look like the "3" is dipping. I am looking at the ek right now and it doesnt look as "dipping" as it does on the pictures(maybe its the angle?). The camera is pretty bad, so its hard to take good close-ups.
    I would vote for L/55 (not easy to tell from the pic, but by looking at it close-up I would say L/55).
    I will try using a "loupe" tomorrow and take a even closer look.
    So if your theories are correct, what year do you think it was assembled?

/Farradin

?

Quote by Farradin View Post
    I would vote for L/55 (not easy to tell from the pic, but by looking at it close-up I would say L/55).

So if your theories are correct, what year do you think it was assembled?
    Hi Farradin,
    It is definately not a wartime L/55 mark, this mark was in a completely different style and was stamped on the lower edge of the frame on the reverse side, not on the ring.
    At the moment I have no idea about my theory being correct or when, if it is correct, the cross may have been made. I'm waiting on some ideas from some other collectors and will let you know more when I do.

Okey, thanks adrian!

I'll try to take a closer look at the mark tomorrow.

Farradin.

Edit: Let's say it is marked "L/58" would it be a correct ek2 then?

?

I posted Farradin's EK on another forum with his consent and my last thought of it being a post war Souval were confirmed.
    This is the reply of a very well respected EK collector whose opinion I would trust implicitly:

"Post war production by Souval with original Souval core but new frame design and L/58 maker's mark."

Therefore, I would consider this one solved!
    I still wouldn't like to guess at the likely year of production but I think it safe to say it is an early piece.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2