MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My EKII Shadow Box Display

Article about: Well, here she be. My shadow box EKII display. The shadow box is about 2.5-3 inches deep. It's about 14x20 inches overall. I picked it up on sale at Michael's Crafts store. I even used a cou

Default My EKII Shadow Box Display

Well, here she be. My shadow box EKII display. The shadow box is about 2.5-3 inches deep. It's about 14x20 inches overall. I picked it up on sale at Michael's Crafts store. I even used a coupon my wife let me have, how thoughtful of her The backing is poster board covered with two layers of white felt. I mapped out positions for the EK's on the poster board, and cut the slits in the board prior to wrapping it in felt. Each time I add an EK, all I have to do is remove the poster backing from the frame, take a razor and slit the layers of felt, push the ribbon through and adjust the EK to be in line with the others. It will fit 30+ EKII's. The envelope is held on by fishing line over the four corners. It does not look centered because I had to take the pic at an angle as my helmet case is partially in the way and prevents a straight on shot. I am keeping the areas above and below the envelope open for a court/parade mounted EKII, a tunic removed ribbon, a ribbon bar ribbon and a button hole ribbon, and maybe a EKII spange if I get the money for one. I only have the tunic removed ribbon right now, so I have not put it in the display. I am waiting to get all of the items so I can map them out and align them before afixing them to the felt. I installed LED light strips for nighttime illumination. The strips were white, so I masked off each individual light, spray painted the strip matte black so the strips do not stick out from the black frame. There is a switch on the exterior of the frame, on the left side, which cannot be seen, but it allows me to turn it on and off quickly.

I hope you all like this display. It wasn't as easy as it looks but I think it turned out very well. I am pleased. Thank you in advance for any comments
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My EKII Shadow Box Display   My EKII Shadow Box Display  

My EKII Shadow Box Display   My EKII Shadow Box Display  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My EKII Shadow Box Display
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: My EKII Shadow Box Display

I really like this.

Mate, that looks absolutely brilliant!! I want one! I reckon I could do something similar to display party badges. You've done a really good job with it mate, well done.

Beautiful and quite effective display that looks great in a dark room. Nice!!
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Fred Green
    ?

Hello,

Looks nice. Is the light difussed or does it shine directly on to the medals? Having an item directly lit is not a good thing. I am unfamiliar with these lighted cases.

Fred

?

Thats the same box i got lol! Beautiful display, i was lucky at Michaels because mine were on clearance for 10$ anybox. I should've gotten more because they are like 80$ boxes.

Ryan

The lights are LED. They are actually shining down in front of the medals, across the glass. Not directly on them. They are not really on at all unless I am looking at the crosses. Other than that, they remain off.

@ Ryan: Are you sure its the exact same box? I thought yours hinges and opens from the front? Mine is more like a picture frame, where the backing is removable. I forgot to take a pic of the back. Will have to do that some day.

Nicely done
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

I would look good in my collection.
    chris

Well done!

Great excuse to get more EK's