Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My first EKII

Article about: I have been wanting to purchase one for several years, but other purchases kept getting in the way! Here is my first WWII EKII, a salty one that came with an envelope. I bought it thinking i

Default My first EKII

I have been wanting to purchase one for several years, but other purchases kept getting in the way! Here is my first WWII EKII, a salty one that came with an envelope. I bought it thinking it was unmarked, however I was pleased to discover that the ring is stamped "55" for J.E. Hammer & Sohne. I like worn and "been there" items, and while this pales in comparison to the mint and shiny examples out there, I am pleased!

The envelope is not maker-marked. Is this type correct for this maker?

The edges of the cross aren't pretty and have some oxidation. I am the type that leaves things alone, but would anyone recommend any cleaning to better preserve it? All feedback and tips are most welcomed!

Thank you for any advice!
    Johannes

My first EKIIMy first EKIIMy first EKII

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My first EKII
    P
    Many

Default Re: My first EKII

Hi Johannes

Congrats on you first An original 55 !

Dont clean her , just leave her the way she left the war

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Hi Johannes! Nice been there looking cross. I would not clean it, It looks nice as it is. But It don´t know what´s happen with the oxidation , if it will expand like zinkpest do?. Let´s hear what the others say. There is a lot of guys here who knows how to preserve the medals in a good way without destroying them.

?

Nice first cross and a bonus makers mark! A bit salty as you say but if you're pleased with it then that's all that matters. The envelope is a well known fake unfortunately, I have a similar one.
    Not sure what to suggest about the oxidisation on the frame, I haven't seen this before. I would take steps to stop it getting worse though. I don't normally recommend cleaning EKs as it can lead to further problems but in this instance (if the cross were mine) I would soak it in a mild soapy solution, a small amount of washing up liquid in warm but not hot water and gently take a very soft bristled toothbrush to it after a minute or so and try and remove the crusty stuff from the frame. Don't touch the core though!!!
    After you've done that you need to dry it extremely well or you will have water trapped between the core and frame and in the space under the beading (which is hollow). Pat it dry with kitchen roll or similar and then get your hairdryer (or borrow the Good Lady's ). Use it to dry the cross, you need to get the frame a bit warm to evaporate the hidden water within and then see how the oxidisation looks. It maybe worth smearing some vaseline on the frame to prevent it getting worse and then store the cross in a stable dry environment with minimum humidity and no temperature extremes.

I can't over stress how important it is to use a soft brush and get the cross dry afterwards or the core will rust if you leave water in there. Don't be afraid to spend a long time with that hairdryer.
    If you have any doubts - DON'T!

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Thank you all for the very quick and detailed replies!

Shame about the envelope--as a fake it sure feels real (but it came with the cross and I considered it a bonus anyways). I haven't touched the cross yet other than to take photos and put it in a case. I will consider the mild soapy water treatment. Thank you Adrian for your very detailed procedure!

Again, I appreciate the replies!
    Johannes

Welcome to the forum!
    Good original EKII, Johannes! Congrats.

Regards

Very nice first EK2. Now the slide down the slippery slope . . . to more EK's!

Quote by roger9344 View Post
    Very nice first EK2. Now the slide down the slippery slope . . . to more EK's!
    So right!

Nice original cross, shame about the packet.
    Personally I would give it a light brush with a soft good quality paint brush, just to get rid of any loose dirt.

regards John

Congrats. A bit salty, yes, but not too bad for your first EK.........!

6000 posts.........!
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 03-30-2012 at 01:24 AM. Reason: 6000 posts.........!
    Regards,

Steve.