Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

My S&L EK1

Article about: Hey all, it finally arrived from Germany! Took some pictures, hope it's a nice one.

Default My S&L EK1

Hey all, it finally arrived from Germany! Took some pictures, hope it's a nice one.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My S&L EK1   My S&L EK1  

My S&L EK1   My S&L EK1  

My S&L EK1  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My S&L EK1
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: My S&L EK1

Shame about the scratches on the core but a nice cross.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

The scratches look methodical and intentionally done, not as if it just got scraped against something. Like someone took a nail to it. I wonder about the motive. Certainly the original owners wouldn't have done it? Maybe a previous owner had a naughty kid who got a hold of it. I guess I'll never know.

So I was informed earlier that crosses by this maker were produced after the war for a time. Does this one look like a wartime example or a postwar? Either way, how can you tell? I hope it's not postwar .

Quote by locloc08 View Post
    So I was informed earlier that crosses by this maker were produced after the war for a time. Does this one look like a wartime example or a postwar? Either way, how can you tell? I hope it's not postwar .
    wouldn't have been made post war that's for sure (swastika was banned in Germany) , they may have made them I believe from '53 or '58? onwards

Its a nice wartime cross You are right the scratches look like something my kids would have done

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Thanks for confirming the period Nick. A member on WAF said that the hinge and pin are not the most common to S&L crosses? Is there any significance to this?

?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    wouldn't have been made post war that's for sure (swastika was banned in Germany) , they may have made them I believe from '53 or '58? onwards
    I understand what you're saying, the swastika was banned after the war. The 'postwar' timeline in this case refers to the period immediately after the end of hostilities. The manufacturers had a whole new market for their wares, souvenir hungry occupation troops would pay for the chance to own a 'genuine' EK so they were made for sometime after the war from wartime stocks. Therefore we have the problem of not knowing exactly when certain crosses or awards were made. Would an EK made on the 9th May 1945 be anymore genuine than one made on the 7th?
    There is a certain amount of controversy over certain S&L RKs and the time of their appearance. A wartime example will fetch 5K whereas one of the possible postwar examples can be found as cheaply(!) as 1K.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....