Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

My sadly depleted EK collection as it stands today...

Article about: Hello All… I mentioned in another thread recently that I had to part with my marked PKZ crosses (among others), so I thought that I would post what remains of my collection as it stands toda

Default Re: My sadly depleted EK collection as it stands today...

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Thanks for the photos Danny, great awards, are they all period made EKs, my 1870 I believe is a later, post Franco-Prussian war made example.
    For those of us unacquainted with their finer points, can you explain the difference between the 'A' and 'B' types please?
    Adrian,

Thank you. Yes, these are award period crosses (well the A-types anyway) while the B-type is thought to be a private purchase but still from the award period.

The A-type core refers to the first cores produced by the Royal Iron Foundry in Berlin. All of these early 'award period' cores are sand cast, and are blackened as opposed to painted. They have very distinctive features and are of excellent quality.

The A-type core date design differs greatly from the B-type. Notice on the A-type, the wide, clear numerals and especially the large sweeping 3 on the 1813 date. Compare these to the dates on the B-type - it has a very 'scrunched up' 7 on the 1870 date, and a very different, but highly individual style 3 on the 1813 date.

This is only a very short introduction to the differences between the two types, but should be enough to be able to identify which is which.

Incidentally, copies of both of these core designs can be found on some 1914 EK2's. I will post some examples showing the comparisons between the 1870's and the 1914's later.

EDIT: I don't have any straight on pictures of the B-type dates at the moment, but I will add some in with comparing views of the A-type as soon as I can.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My sadly depleted EK collection as it stands today...
    P
    Many

?

Great explanation Danny, thank you.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

It is unfortunate to hear that you have had to sell some of your cherished crosses Danny.
    But, on the bright side, I was, in a small way, one of the benefactors of this situation.
    You still have many very desirable EK's there, if it means anything,
    "Quality over Quantity"
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Danny70

Fantastic colletion! And thanks for the explaination of the different types of 1870 awards.

Green
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

Danny, you still have an amazing collection. You have kept some very desirable crosses and it will be easy to rebuild your PKZ collection again one day!

Any chance of a close up of your '8' please?

Thanks

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Pretty damn amazing for a 'depleted' collection!

JMM
    ?

Hi Danny

GREAT display Fantastic
    Thanks for showing // JMM

Quote by Stickgrenade View Post
    ....Any chance of a close up of your '8' please?

Thanks

Nick
    Hi Nick,

Thanks for the kind comments.

The "possible 8" is just a name that was given to these crosses by Trevor/Streptile at WAF. Neither of us believe that they are though. One had been shown on there with an '8' stamp on the ring, and it was just for want of a name that he called them this.

Anyhow, whatever it is, here you go:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My sadly depleted EK collection as it stands today...   My sadly depleted EK collection as it stands today...  

My sadly depleted EK collection as it stands today...  

Great collection. A 1870 EKII is a must. I need to get one soon.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Thanks Danny, I have seen one or two with maker mark 8 in the past and they had different features if I remember.

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast