Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need help with EK1

Article about: Hello there, A friend of mine recently picked up what looks to be a Meybauer EK1 but I cannot be sure if it's genuine. Anyone have any thoughts?

Default Need help with EK1

Hello there,

A friend of mine recently picked up what looks to be a Meybauer EK1 but I cannot be sure if it's genuine. Anyone have any thoughts?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help with EK1   Need help with EK1  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help with EK1
    P
    Many

Default Re: Need help with EK1

Hi Klaus

Compare to my L/13

Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images Need help with EK1  Need help with EK1 
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    Hi Klaus

Compare to my L/13

Nick
    Yep looks like a fake to me.

i don't want to definitively categorize this one as a fake without better pics.

in focus and outdoors in natural light.

it's clear that it's been messed with. something has been done to the hinge and the back has been abraded and buffed along with the pin.

there's actually something very strange about the shape of it from the reverse but i don't know if that the way the pic was taken or what.

so there are "issues" here but to label the thing a "fake" goes a little beyond what i'm seeing with these pictures which, as already stated, i'm not comfortable with as far as making a definitive call on this particular cross.

what do you guys think? am i blind or do you think better pics would help a little here?

Yea it does look like someone may have tried to "clean" the back? And maybe reinforce the hinge. Let me try and get some better pictures.

from the pictures provided, the back appears to show some pitting and a lot of "dings" and marks around the edges of the cross itself.

not sure if this thing was buffed in an attempt to remove this stuff to deceive or if a genuine cross were abused and someone elected to "improve" it.

the paint on the core looks like it may have been messed with as well.

there are others with more valuable opinions than mine. but i am sort of giving you a heads up here that even for someone experienced and willing to make the call with those pics... well... everyone is going to appreciate a pic in sharper focus and in natural light.

seems ridiculous to contemplate, but it looks exactly like someone added solder to that hinge on both sides of the pin and then maybe buffed that area too along with the rest of the back of this cross.

it's strange.

members may want to see a nice close and sharply focused pic of that hinge assembly from the side (lateral view) along with the angle you've already provided. might help in seeing what exactly is going on there.

?

Moved to the correct forum.......

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....